I'm afraid to use the creme brulee torch ...

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Bed Bath Beyond has the torches for a decent enough price with the butane refills, but the instructions have several steps and it's freaking me out a little bit.

Do any of you own and use such a torch, and how is that working for you?

Thanks !

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Geez, chocolate, I got one as a gift years ago and maybe used it once. Didn't seem complicated or a big deal, as I recall.

I must have used it all - I have no idea if I even still have it.

Lrr

Shermie

Site Supporter
BB&B is where I got MY creme brulee torch as well!

With it came a butane-charged-fueled cooking torch and 4 small round ramekin desert dishes. I also bought an extra charging can of butane fuel.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have used propane torches for years as a sheet metal worker and also for giving a burnt effect to wood things I've built. Easy to use with little problems ever though I've never used one in the kitchen I do use one often to heat bullet cases to reload for some rifles. Pretty much like using a cigarette lighter really just light it with a torch striker as it is the easiest way.

Rob Babcock

I prefer butane. My torch of choice is an Iwatani. I use it very frequently for browning foods cooked sous vide. It works great! Butane is better for food than propane; it doesn't give you the "off" flavors you sometimes get from a propane torch.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
u jus' gotta be confident. read the instructions. it takes not a minute-ish. nothing to fret over, as its a very, very quickly-learned skill if u let it be. point away from urself/others, be consistant & quickly pass over as items begin to brown.

we owned several in 2 kitchens. they were used on quite a few items thru my schooling/restaurant employee career. from brulee to pork belly, post-cooking, french-onion soup to potato dishes & a few desserts, wow. many items as i glimpse thru my thoughts.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
It's a brulee torch, not a rocket engine. You turn on a gas burner, right?

It's really not that hard, you turn it on, turn it off. The flame, while capable of burning, you REALLY have to be not paying attention for things to go wrong.