Help with Diabetic Baking

vyapti

I give a cake to my staff at the staff meeting on their birthday. One of my staff members was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I want to support her, but at the same time, give here some sort of birthday treat. But, I know next to nothing about diabetes. Does anyone have any pointers, suggestions or ideas for a diabetic birthday treat and, like I said, it doesn't necessarily need to be cake or cake-like.

Thanks

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Mama's got the right idea. I'd do a search for recipes for diabetics. I'm sure thousands will be available to choose from.

GotGarlic

And remember that the current recommendation is not to tell people with diabetes that they can never have sugar - they just have to balance how much they have with other types of foods during the day, to maintain their blood sugar as well as possible.

Constance

I was diagnosed last fall with diabetes. Since my grandson has diabetes 1, My daughter was a lot of help.
We don't necessarily eliminate sugar...we count carbs. For instance, I could skip the pasta and garlic bread and have a small piece of cake.

Here are some baking tricks I have learned:
*Substitute Splenda for sugar. You can make powdered sugar from Splenda by pulverizing it in the food processer.
*Whole grain products are more complex carbs and take the body longer to break down, so your blood is not suddenly flooded with glucose. Sub whole wheat flour for MOST of the all purpose flour. The finished product will be heavier, but delicious.
*Sugar free pudding made with 25% less milk and mixed with sugar free Cool Whip makes a tasty frosting.
*Sub applesauce or mashed bananas for the oil in the recipe.

Look here for info on diabetes and food for diabetics:

http://www.diabetes.org/

Last edited: