Fake Mashed Potatoes

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
If you are watching carbs, or are just trying to eat healthier, this is an AMAZING recipe for "fake" mashed potatoes that tastes almost exactly like the real thing!

i dont know where i got this recipe but i thought i would share it. i seen one like this on a tv cooking show awhile back

1 large head of garlic - roasted
1 large head of cauliflower
1 small (14oz) can of fat-free chicken* broth (*vegetable broth for veggies and vegans)
1 7oz. bag of Veggie Slices brand soy cheddar cheese
Fresh basil
Fresh or dry bay leaves
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Butter (or margarine, for vegans)
Milk (nonfat, lactose free, or soy [for vegans] all work fine)

Cut up the cauliflower into pieces. Take a large pot or dutch oven, and put the broth, cauliflower pieces and a few sprigs of bay leaves into the pot and season with salt and pepper.

Turn the heat up to medium high until it begins to steam. Let the cauliflower steam for 20-25 minutes, until it is extremely cooked and soft.

Drain the cauliflower in a strainer, then put it back into the pot in which you cooked it. Put the pot back on the hot burner and mash the cauliflower with a potato masher. Once it's mashed, the heat from the hot burner will evaporate the water. Stir to keep it from burning.

Take the pot of mashed cauliflower (STILL on the hot burner) and add the roasted garlic, the bag of soy cheese, about 2-3 tbsp of butter, some chopped up basil leaves, salt and pepper to taste, and a dash or two bit of milk as needed too (although not too much milk, as it can make it too liquidy).

Serve as a side - it tastes almost exactly like real mashed potatoes, although the consistency is a bit thinner.

Hi. I love mashed potatoes and am not in any way avoiding them. But I also love cauliflower. Is this recipe good enough to stand on its own if I am not looking to get away from real potatoes ?? Thanks.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
yup this recipe is good... its a good substitution but of course it will never replace the yummy goodness of mashed potatoes..lol

i love cauliflower as well, this is just basically another way of preparing it

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I've heard of this - I saw something similar demonstrated on a PBS cooking show (I can't remember the guy's name!) but his specialty was low-to-no carb meals. Thanks for reminding me of this, I'm definitely going to make it this weekend! :)

PanchoHambre

This looks good. mashed cauliflower is surprisingly tasty... I am assuming that using actual cheese would be fine right?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Real cheese is OK in my book in moderation, fake cheese bleck! You ever seen the amount of oil instead of milk they put in there?? Yuck!