Lo Mein Noodles

AllenOK

OK, Take II on this. I thought I posted it yesterday. I guess I must have hit Preview, then backed out of it without posting. I made this for lunch today. MMMM! It dissappeared, quickly!

Lo Mein Noodles
Yields: 1 entrée or two side servings

2 T oil
Any of the following:
-1 chicken thigh, boneless, skinless, partially frozen and sliced thin
-1 pork cutlet, partially frozen and sliced thin
-1 beef cutlet, partially frozen and sliced thin
-2 - 3 oz shrimp, peeled and deveined
-2 - 3 oz bay scallops, thawed
2 - 3 T soy
1 ice cube chicken stock
1 ice cube seafood stock, optional
¼ c water
1 t garlic, minced
1 t ginger, minced
6 oz (~2 c) Napa Cabbage, julienned
One stalk of celery, sliced on a bias
1/3 c onions, diced
2 - 3 dried shiitake mushrooms
One small carrot, peeled and sliced thinly on a bias
¼ c snow peas
-or- 2 T frozen peas
2 T frozen corn
8 oz can bamboo shoots, drained
8 oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained
2 T oyster sauce
Pepper, to taste
¼ t turmeric
2 - 3 c cooked Chinese noodles, drained and lightly tossed with oil
-or- cooked fresh linguini, drained and lightly tossed with oil
-or- cooked spaghetti, drained and lightly tossed with oil
Salt, as needed

In a small pan, place the dried shiitake mushrooms in ¼ c water, bring to a boil, then remove from the heat and allow to rehydrate for 10 - 15 minutes.
Combine the meat items with the soy, stock, water, garlic, and ginger. Mix and set aside to marinate while you prep the remaining ingredients.
Mix together the Napa, celery, onions, carrots, snow peas or sweet peas, corn, bamboo shoots, and water chestnuts. Remove the shiitake mushrooms from their soaking liquid and squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the mushrooms and back into the pan, reserving the mushroom liquid. Shred the mushrooms and add them to the veggies. Season the veggies with the pepper and turmeric.
Place a wok or large cast iron skillet over high heat, and heat until it starts to smoke heavily. While that is heating, drain the marinade from the meat into the mushroom liquid, then add the oyster sauce to the liquids. Stir.
When the pan begins to smoke, add the oil, and swirl to coat the pan. Add the meat items and stir-fry for a few seconds, then cover and steam for about 45 seconds. Remove the lid and stir again. Add the veggies and stir, then cover and steam them in their own moisture for about a minute. Remove the lid and stir again. Add the noodles and the reserved liquids. Stir to combine, and bring to a boil, and reduce, stirring constantly, until the noodles just begin to stick. While this is cooking, taste to check the seasoning, and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
Pour the mix into a serving bowl or plate, and enjoy.

2009allenslomeingz1.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Allen, that looks like a wonderful way to use up leftover bits and clean out the fridge!

Yumm!

Lee