Obama - Moving Fast!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Mama, the majority voted to go in a different direction and that is what we are doing. Whether one helps elect a president or not, we are the United States of America (not the North and South despite the kidding in the other thread) and I believe that we need to give our new President a chance. I do that with every new President. We need to unite to solve our problems and not be mired in parties. It is why I am an independent and vote issues. I care about the country as a whole and not just my state, county, or city.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Sorry about all that, I really wasn't trying to bring politics into it, just pointing out these problems weren't created over night and won't be solved overnight. Seems to me, though, that we are all agreed the spending needs to slow way way way down!

Which reminds me... I need to balance my checkbook soon, LOL!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Mama, the majority voted to go in a different direction and that is what we are doing. Whether one helps elect a president or not, we are the United States of America (not the North and South despite the kidding in the other thread) and I believe that we need to give our new President a chance. I do that with every new President. We need to unite to solve our problems and not be mired in parties. It is why I am an independent and vote issues. I care about the country as a whole and not just my state, county, or city.

Spending has been out of hand for a long time. Slowing down would be a nice change...one that I can believe in. We are the great country that we are not in spite of our differences but because of our differences. I doesn't matter who our leader is...I'm not going to follow him/her off a cliff.

Last edited:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Spending has been out of hand for a long time. Slowing down would be a nice change...one that I can believe in. We are the great country that we are not in spite of our differences but because of our differences. I doesn't matter who our leader is...I'm not going to follow him/her off a cliff.
I agree 100% that the government has been spending our money faster than we can be taxed out of it and I'm pissed. I'm also pissed at how our money has been mismanaged, squandered, and essentially stolen from us. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that we all agree on both of those points. What should/could/can be done about it is where we all have differing points of view. I think that gives us more in common than more to be at odds over.

I welcome the opportunity to have rational discussions about this with people I admire and respect. Maybe we could all agree that in any discussion, present company is excepted. (Since we're all exceptional people anyway.)

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Unless you can create a huge grass roots effort to lobby your congressman and have your friends in other states do the same, how do you expect to be able to effectuate this change? Or are we just venting?

I agree. Government wastes money and makes a mess of things. The only difference between the two parties is what they choose to spend our money on.

Fine, now what?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Unless you can create a huge grass roots effort to lobby your congressman and have your friends in other states do the same, how do you expect to be able to effectuate this change? Or are we just venting?

I agree. Government wastes money and makes a mess of things. The only difference between the two parties is what they choose to spend our money on.

Fine, now what?

So, when you said this.......

....you were just speaking metaphorically? The whole idea of a grass roots movement is the people uniting. At first you waxed philosophically about such a grand movement, yet now you now come back and cynically say we should just sit on our laurels? What did you have in mind when you said to unite......some high fiving and back-slapping of the status quo, or real change? :huh:

The largest of fires always starts with the smallest of flames.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, I, for one, have been emailing my congressman and senators and telling them how I feel. My congressman is a democrat and my senators are both republicans and I sent them the exact same email telling them that I want the spending to slow down...and they need to stop voting on things they haven't read. If I have to be careful my budget...they damn well better be careful with "our" budget. I spoke to them as an American citizen who is fed up! If things don't change soon, I will be voting OUT every incumbent on my ballot and encouraging others to do the same. It's high time we stand up and take back our country........Git the gun boy...just kidding. :lol:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Grass roots groups can be issue oriented, Keltin and do not need to be centered around party. I am a member of several.

That being said, our new President has not been in office for long, are you not willing to give him a chance to see if what he wants to do will make a difference?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Fine, now what?
Since all these thieves have ignored any common sense and just blindly followed BHO's lead on taking us to hell in a financial handbasket, I might suggest anarchy, while embracing my bible and my guns. If they can do as they please, why can't we? If you're not stockpiling food, water and amunition, you should be.

Ahhhh, I feel better having gotten that off my chest. Not to go see what Derek is putting into his bread dough today.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Well, I, for one, have been emailing my congressman and senators and telling them how I feel. My congressman is a democrat and my senators are both republicans and I sent them the exact same email telling them that I want the spending to slow down...and they need to stop voting on things they haven't read. If I have to be careful my budget...they damn well better be careful with "our" budget. I spoke to them as an American citizen who is fed up! If things don't change soon, I will be voting OUT every incumbent on my ballot and encouraging others to do the same. It's high time we stand up and take back our country........Git the gun boy...just kidding. :lol:

Good for you, Mama!!! That is what more of our citizens need to do. They need to contact their congressmen--snail mail, email, faxes. Make them take notice of you. Tell your friends to do the same. Get involved! I have been doing that for years. Often when one is interested in issues there are plenty of groups that will help you with knowing the names of bills and what is in them. Or you can go to Thomas.gov and read for yourself. You have the same kind of house that I was raised in. We wrote letters and got involved in issues that mattered to us the most. We supported groups that lobbied Congress as well.
:thumb::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't believe in lobbyists. Our representatives are there to represent their constituents, not special interest groups.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Grass roots groups can be issue oriented, Keltin and do not need to be centered around party. I am a member of several.

That being said, our new President has not been in office for long, are you not willing to give him a chance to see if what he wants to do will make a difference?

Yes, that is not being questioned. The issue is the deficit and current spending. A grass roots movement on the issue of the budget has nothing to do with parties.

Obama is new to office, and I’m a bit interested to see what he does. I never said we should lynch him, but I was curious about your idea of uniting.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Buzz, you know as well as I do that those in power were afraid that there would be a run on banks.

That is just a small part of it, and don't forget that those accounts are now insured.

No liquidity, no business operations - total financial meltdown. Business cycles are normal, just like nature. No amount of government meddling will change that, but we do need the banking system no matter what it takes.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
The accounts are insured by the word of our government Buzz. We aren't on the gold standard anymore. What will they do to solve the problem? Print money. What will that cause? Inflation or even stagflation. How is that going to make things better?

As for lobbyists, it is the most efficient way for grassroots groups to get Congress' ear. Is it perfect, heck no but it is better to have thousands of letters hit congress than just a few here and there by a few people who are angry. Congress pays attention to the numbers of letters they receive and which way they blow--for or agin. If you are lucky you will receive a form letter written by an intern.

Do you know how many people who get angry and spout off but when it comes to actually doing something about the problem, they sit on their hands? They leave it up to the next guy. Everyone has an opinion and yet, so few people actually vote.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

As for lobbyists, it is the most efficient way for grassroots groups to get Congress' ear. Is it perfect, heck no but it is better to have thousands of letters hit congress than just a few here and there by a few people who are angry. Congress pays attention to the numbers of letters they receive and which way they blow--for or agin. If you are lucky you will receive a form letter written by an intern.

Do you know how many people who get angry and spout off but when it comes to actually doing something about the problem, they sit on their hands? They leave it up to the next guy. Everyone has an opinion and yet, so few people actually vote.

That's where we differ. I don't believe that just because you belong to a grassroots group and you support their cause, that your voice should be any more important or carry more weight than mine. IMHO, Lobby groups pave the way for corruption...it's becoming alarmingly obvious...

leolady

Re: Obama - Stem Cell Research

Oh and I forgot to mention that Mexico is now on the list beside Pakistan for a country that could collapse at any moment giving us a failed state on our southern border. Yes folks stem cell research is hardly a high priority but he said 2 years ago he would change it when he got on the campaign trail. No surprise here but as I've said from the beginning give him time. He will either be one of our great presidents or one of our worse but to find that out takes time.

As I knew already, he has the capability of being one of our best presidents. The determining factor will be not his ability, it will be whether WE support him in his efforts.

I am on several forum regarding horses. On these upper middle class forums they HATE Obama with a true passion and are not afraid to say so. Many have indicated that they would rather see the country in the toilet than support ANYTHING he does! :twak:

It is true that the forums I am speaking of are "elitist" and conservative republican [they own the fancy arabian horses and most are relatively wealthy].

These old line what's in it for me, people could be President Obama's downfall, if we do not actively support him and his obviously honest efforts.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I heard him being blamed today because a guy that was in Guantanamo for a year was let go and is now in charge of the Talaban in Afghanistan. Ah, folks this guy was released a year and a half before the election, but it is Obama fault, go figure. Just blame the fact you have lost your job on him, the economy or moving too fast for you. He is doing exactly what he said from the beginning he would do. That is my last word on it as the people have spoken during the last election.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
And, if he had said, "I'm going to run the national debt up so fast that it will make your head spin and we will be paying the price for many,many, many, many, many, many, many, many years to come"...

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
He is doing exactly what he said from the beginning he would do.

And that is rather remarkable in itself, especially so quickly. I'm somewhat impressed and interested to see where it will go.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm with you Keltin, I didn't vote from him or McCain but I'm sure backing him now. I actually think I might live to see the day we live in a country that isn't all about what is in it for me. The great depression gave me my grand parents that taught me to save and work for what I want. I don't suffer from what it seems the generations that came after me do, instant gratification. I will say it again give him a chance, he has been honest in that the problems with our country will not be turned around in a year or two. It will take a couple of years and perhaps as I believe we will come out at the end stronger because of it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
The accounts are insured by the word of our government Buzz. We aren't on the gold standard anymore. What will they do to solve the problem? Print money. What will that cause? Inflation or even stagflation. How is that going to make things better?

I vote and like Mama, I write to my congressmen. I doubt it has anything to do with the frequency of my emails and letters, but a few years ago I actually got a Christmas Card from Bud Cramer & his wife (Alabama Representative).

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I want this country to succeed. Whoever is running it, Democrat, Republican or whatever party really doesn't matter.

I understand what y'all are saying about giving him a chance...the problem is when you run our debt up at an alarming rate, there is no saying, "Oops, I made a mistake, let me take that back". Take time and spend money wisely just like I'm sure everyone here does with their family budget. Like I said, I'm not gonna follow the man off a cliff.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Ah, 7 years of war at about a billion dollars a week on it and that got us what, never mind the lives lost in this? All I can see is us on the edge of an economic collapse, the other side really has no solutions except to give more tax cuts to the rich. Oh well I can at least say that I seem to be in the majority for a change. If it works my new motto will become Spend Baby Spend.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I want this country to succeed. Whoever is running it, Democrat, Republican or whatever party really doesn't matter.

I understand what y'all are saying about giving him a chance...the problem is when you run our debt up at an alarming rate, there is no saying, "Oops, I made a mistake, let me take that back". Take time and spend money wisely just like I'm sure everyone here does with their family budget. Like I said, I'm not gonna follow the man off a cliff.

What I'm hoping is, he has jumped into a supped up race car that is going pell-mell toward a cliff. Now, he has to gain control of the steering to avoid the immediate potholes, then start down shifting and applying the brakes. Imagine waking up in a car going 205 miles per hour. First thing to do is learn to steer it (either that or panic and die!), then you start slowing it down. Hopefully that's what he's gonna do. Anyone got a "fingers crossed" emoticon??? :biggrin:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter

That's not the only way. The government can tax you into paying the debt. The government can cut the budget so that there is a surplus and that will satisfy the dept. Too bad the politicians are busy looking for votes and they don't have time for piddly things like cleaning up the mess. Washington has no sense of responsibility.

If we do manage to spend our way out of recession what happens next? The politicians come looking for your vote because of the great job they did....

But wait. oh ohhhhh. What about all that new debt? Who will pay it off and when? The secret answer is it will be paid for by our young with the money that should be going into investment in the future but it won't be available for that purpose because they will have to pay off the folks who bought our generation's bonds in the first place.

Guess what? I just described instant gratification and that is what the government is doing right now. They're satisfying us and flipping off the kids. :glare:

Status
Not open for further replies.