Obama - Moving Fast!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wart

Banned
This ain't nuthin. Wait until Stimulus II appears on the radar. The drunken sailors in the gub-ment have realized that the bazzilions in the current Porkulus will not save the jobs that they had anticipated with this plan, so more money needs to be printed to get the desired effect they're after. Funny, we would be jailed if we ran our businesses and families the way these geniuses are running the gub-ment, yet they are being praised for destroying our children and grandchildren's financial futures. I can only imagine the Jimmy Carter taxes and inflationary interest rates that will be appearing in the near future because of all the "stimulating" this crowd is doing. Anybody here remember 19% interest rates to buy a house? If you forgot them, just wait, because "They're coming around the mountain." All this "Change" is coming at a freaking huge cost to our future.

popcorn.gif

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
... but personal things like saying Hamburger Helper is for the homeless, or Cream of Mushroom soup is for the ignorant and lazy, makes me want to fight. I actually like Hamburger Helper on occasion, and I LOVE cooking with CoM soup.

Crap, now I’ve done it. :pat:

#1 You have no taste buds if you like Hamburger Helper, homeless or not.

#2 I agree that COM is for the lazy, and I am lazy. Good stuff...

#3 You left out one of the most controversial food items...the cheese in the GREEN CAN. God, I loved that thread. There was more emotional opinions in that one than a conversation about a pregnant nun.

Oh, and I'm a victim of Mav's "If we need to edit or tweak a post now and then to keep it going, great!" He "tweaked" the best part of my post last night, and I didn't even get a kiss.

Time for some breakfast; I'm hungry this morning.

Joseph the Agitator

Lefty

Yank

#3 You left out one of the most controversial food items...the cheese in the GREEN CAN. God, I loved that thread. There was more emotional opinions in that one than a conversation about a pregnant nun.

Oh, and I'm a victim of Mav's "If we need to edit or tweak a post now and then to keep it going, great!" He "tweaked" the best part of my post last night, and I didn't even get a kiss.

Joseph the Agitator

72e78509689e4401c755dcf687960204081207081710sm.gif

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter

Joseph the Agitator

#1 - hamburger helper is ok if you use steak instead of hamburger. :chef:

#2 - I always thought CoM was fine as long as it was a gourmet brand :bounce:

#3 - If it's the Kraft green can cheese I've had to stop using it. Too hard to grate.:whistling:

last item: check your fax machine :yum:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

On the contrary, my tastebuds work just fine.....for me. But, I'll be sure to let you know when they tell me something you like sucks out loud. :glare:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
My mom was part of the post-war generation that had the opportunity to use those early convenience foods however after trying most of them, she usually found she or we didn't like them. However, cool whip, Kraft parmesan cheese, low sodium stove top stuffing and shake and bake for chicken were the few things that she would purchase on a fairly regular basis. She also made the occasional cake mix but never used canned frosting.

Normally, us kids would see a commercial and ask her to try something and we were always disappointed and that was it.

I grew up in a home where fresh vegetables were steamed and not boiled (canned vegetables were hardly used save for cream corn for muffins and tomatoes) and sauces were almost always homemade. I don't think she made casseroles because my father was a picky eater and he wouldn't eat them.

I wouldn't force anyone to eat anything they don't like; I wouldn't even force someone who didn't want to try something. All one can do is make it available.

Bon Appetit!

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
How fast is this guy moving? Saw something yesterday that the deficit is increasing at the rate of approximately 1 billion/hour since he took office. Kennedy was the first president to propose a 100 billion budget, or approximately 4 days of Obama deficit spending.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Growing up, I spent a lot of time with my grandmother and grandfather after my biological father was killed. They raised me for a few years while my mother got her head straight and eventually dated and then married my Dad. My grandmother was old school, and cooked everything from scratch, even CoM soup. She worked only with fresh vegetables, steamed or roasted.....although she did boil corn on the cob and "greens". We lived on the water in Mobile, and I worked the crab traps for her as well as went floundering and soft shelling. We frequently had fresh fish, soft shell crabs, crab boils, etc. Her desserts, always from scratch, were to die for. She really was a miracle working when it came to cooking and baking.

My Mom on the other hand never really picked up on that kind of cooking. She tried, and she had several dishes she could do well, but she did rely heavily on prepackaged stuff. She’s a wonderful women with a heart of gold. Very strong, loving, and passionate, and I’ll never fault her for her choices. She did the best she could with what she had, and we turned out all right.

When my Dad (what some would call stepfather, but he was my Dad) died, she eventually married another man. A Canadian. Nothing against Canadians, but he is definitely one headstrong and opinionated ass. He abhors prepackaged stuff and has forced her to learn to cook things from scratch just for him. My Mom is old school. Doesn’t believe in divorce, and believes a woman’s place is behind her man no matter what. They live in Florida now, but are soon to move to Canada (in two months). To be honest, I wouldn’t mind having 10 minutes alone with him back behind the fence. :glare:

Wart

Banned
How fast is this guy moving? Saw something yesterday that the deficit is increasing at the rate of approximately 1 billion/hour since he took office. Kennedy was the first president to propose a 100 billion budget, or approximately 4 days of Obama deficit spending.

Just like anything else, takes more to fix it than it took to break it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
:confused:

Sucks out loud? Verses ... ? ... Quiet Suckage?

I'm confused ....

:chef:

It sucks so bad you can actually hear it! Some things suck just a little bit, but some things are huge gaping holes of suckage.

Wart

Banned
I wouldn't force anyone to eat anything they don't like; I wouldn't even force someone who didn't want to try something. All one can do is make it available.

This is where Wife and I butt heads.

I really like Honey Whole Wheat, Wife won't eat it. Last time I worked on the Honey Whole Wheat thick crust pizza she ate soup.

What a PITA.

I guess it's time to stop trying to be Burger King.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

This confuses me.
Not to get into politics, but to state facts as they are:
The Big Bad Bailout was debated and signed into law last year. It was approved by Bush and Congress last year. The first half of it was spent by Bush and Congress last year.
If Obama wanted to scrap the entire thing, well, he can't. It was already approved and 1/2 gone when he took office.
So far he has done the only thing he can with what he was already handed, which was work with Congress to change around where the money was going so as not to make the same mistake we made last time (not partisan, all of Congress and us we) which was to blindly hand it out and watch the bonus' roll on while we saw no relief.
The budget deficit clock did not start rolling up like that on his first day, it started rolling up last year as soon as the first bailout checks were cashed, and the very site of it should sober just about anyone up right quick!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This confuses me.
The Big Bad Bailout was debated and signed into law last year. It was approved by Bush and Congress last year. The first half of it was spent by Bush and Congress last year.
If Obama wanted to scrap the entire thing, well, he can't. It was already approved and 1/2 gone when he took office.
So far he has done the only thing he can with what he was already handed, which was work with Congress to change around where the money was going so as not to make the same mistake we made last time (not partisan, all of Congress and us we) which was to blindly hand it out and watch the bonus' roll on while we saw no relief.
The budget deficit clock did not start rolling up like that on his first day, it started rolling up last year as soon as the first bailout checks were cashed, and the very site of it should sober just about anyone up right quick!
This is a fact. Whoever was elected was going to inherit a big bag of crap! But holding them responsible for what was already a done deal is confusing to me.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
A lot of what Obama has done, including the stem cell thing, is roll back Bush's executive orders with his own executive orders. Considering how well Bush was "loved", and how he crushed McCain, it's not exactly political suicide...

Hell, even Bush compromised on embryonic stem cells, by saying the ones in existence could still be researched. This was a boon for the University of Wisconsin, since we held many of those stem cell lines.

At any rate, the ban that Bush instated just seemed like a way to appease his Christian right base, and not something he really cared about...

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Actually, I should correct myself. The deficit didn't start last year either. Wars are not cheap and we have two major ones going on right now. This has been racking up a deficit for quite some time now.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
This confuses me.

What JoeV is referring to is that Obama signed a $787 Billion Dollar Stimulus package of his own a month ago and now Nance Pelosi is apparently already working on another stimulus package....and then there's the $410 billion dollar omnibus spending bill that was signed yesterday.

Personally....I think everyone needs to just slow down and take a deep breath. Money doesn't grow on trees...and we're going to pay for all of this.

S.Shepherd

What JoeV is referring to is that Obama signed a $787 Billion Dollar Stimulus package of his own a month ago and now Nance Pelosi is apparently already working on another stimulus package....and then there's the $410 billion dollar omnibus spending bill that was signed yesterday.

Personally....I think everyone needs to just slow down and take a deep breath. Money doesn't grow on trees...and we're going to pay for all of this.

prozactly:smile:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We've been paying for it...the deficit has been climbing and climbing and climbing for years, not just since Jan 09. What he is signing though isn't his creation. It was already created. He had to work with congress to get approval from Congress on where it was going to be spent because last time around they just kinda gave it away...
The point is none of this is his creation... he inherited these problems when he won the election. I just don't get people acting like it just showed up today and no body knew about it before January... we have known about the deficit since we started racking it up shortly after 01 with two wars... and we have heard the term 'depression' being tossed around since early last year.
I hate this reckless spending, especially since none of it seems to be reaching anyone who might actually need it... but I am not gonna blame the quarter back that entered in the fourth quarter for the mistakes of the team made during the first three quarters...

Wart

Banned
This is a fact. Whoever was elected was going to inherit a big bag of crap! But holding them responsible for what was already a done deal is confusing to me.

What's confusing? Ohhh, I see, you expect rational behavior!

There is political gain in using revisionist history to create an illusion, and that illusion is believed by many because they WANT to believe the illusion.

As an example in mid November there were talking heads assigning the blame for the crash to Barry when the crash happened a month and a half before the election.

Trying to use logic to understand that will only yield confusion. But factor in the warping of reality for political gain and it all makes perfect sense.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
The misuse of executive orders goes back farther than Bush.

And, whether or not you agree with the stimulus package or not, it has passed, it will be implemented and our children and their children and possibly their children will be paying for it.

Everyone hates the politicians but funny how more incumbents get elected than not. So, I guess the problem is everbody else's elected officials.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm no going to point fingers...I'm pretty pissed off at all of the politicians...doesn't matter to me which party they are affiliated with. Nothing can be done about the money that was wasted in the past, but something can be done about the money that is spent in the future...and I'm just saying that they need to SLOW DOWN and think about what they're doing. This money has to be paid back. I don't want to have to have to pay 80% of our salary in tax just to pay it back.

In 2006 the deficit was already at $248 billion. In 2007, it was just under $161 billion. In 2008 it grew to $455 billion. It's projected to be $1.9 TRILLION for 2009. SLOW DOWN PEOPLE!

Status
Not open for further replies.