freezing eggs

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I probably know the answer. I do have to ask.

The local grocery store is selling extra large eggs for $.99. A dozzen.

Can you freeze eggs?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have frozen whites. And I think egg beaters can be frozen so maybe scrambled eggs. BUT I WOULD NOT freeze an egg in it's shell due to expansion. Just my opinion.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you peep.
I did a little research and found out that you are right. Thay should not be frozen in the shell. It seems lots of people freese whole eggs by putting them in ice cube trays one egg per cube. One person said that a lot of restaurants get them this way. Personally, I have mot seen that, maybe Vera ot Allen could answer that.

$.99 a dozen is pretty motivating.

Leni

I didn't mean to copy the entire segment but since I did I'll leave it as is.

HERE’S HOW TO HARD BOIL EGGS SO THEY WILL LOOK GOOD IF SERVED UNPEELED, PEEL EASILY, AND BE COOKED PERFECTLY

• Bring eggs to room temperature (if you have not “planned ahead” place the eggs in a bowl of tepid water until they reach room temperature)
  • Puncture a small hole in the large end of the egg with a straight pin or with an “egg poker” – a very inexpensive device made for this purpose. (This will allow the pressure to equalize between the air pocket in the shell and the hot water, to avoid cracking the shell when it is placed in the hot water.)
  • Bring a generous amount of water to a boil in a saucepan large enough to hold the eggs comfortably [NOTE: No matter how large the pan, do not cook more than 18 eggs at one time]
  • With a large spoon, gently lower the eggs, one by one, onto the boiling water [NOTE: Adding the eggs will cause the water to stop boiling, because the water temperature will be lowered]
  • When the water returns to a boil, lower the heat and gently simmer the eggs for exactly 11 minutes. (Very hard boiling may crack shells)
For Easy Peeling:
  • Pour the eggs and their cooking water into the sink or a colander to drain
  • Immediately run cold water over the eggs, to stop cooking
  • Crack the egg shells all over (against the side of the sink, or using the back of a large spoon) while constantly running the cold water over the eggs.
  • Once the shells are cracked all over, you can peel them immediately, or wait to peel them until you are ready to do so. (Refrigerate the eggs if you wish to store them for longer than an hour or so.)
  • Peels should slip off easily.
Store peeled eggs: Peeled hard boiled eggs can be stored in the refrigerator in a bowl of cold water to cover for about 1 week (change the water daily) – or in a sealed container without water (cover the eggs with damp paper towels) for the same length of time.

For Perfect “Picnic” Eggs, Served With Their Shells On:
  • Instead of pouring the eggs and water into the sink, remove each egg with a slotted spoon and place in a large bowl filled with ice and water
  • Leave in the ice water bath until completely cooled
Store eggs in the shell: Hard-boiled eggs in their shells can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks

SAFETY NOTE: It is not safe to leave hard boiled eggs (including those in their shells) out at room temperature for long. If they have been taken to a picnic, or served on a buffet, keep them cool while they are being served, and discard the leftovers. Do not allow children to eat eggs that have been hidden in the garden by the Easter Bunny. Candy Easter eggs are safer (if less nutritious).

EGG TIPS:

To center yolks perfectly in anticipation of making deviled eggs: place a rubber band around the carton of eggs, and set the carton on its side in the refrigerator for 24 hours before hard boiling the eggs. Yolks will be centered.
Very fresh eggs (such as eggs purchased at Easter time, when turnover is high) can be difficult to peel, no matter what method is used.
To Freeze eggs: To freeze whole eggs, break them into a rigid, freezer-safe container. Pierce the yolks and stir the eggs to mix them without beating in any air (foam will dry out the eggs as they freeze). For each 2 eggs, stir in 1/8 teaspoon of salt, or 1 teaspoon of sugar or corn syrup. This addition will keep the eggs from becoming too thick and sticky. Label the container with the number of eggs, and whether salt or sweetener has been used (for reference when cooking with the eggs) and freeze for up to 9 months at zero degrees.
Cook’s Note: about 5 large eggs will measure one cup; if egg mixture is frozen in an ice cube tray (and then transferred, when frozen, to a freezer plasic bag for longer storage), each cube will contain about one egg.
Egg yolks (alone) may be frozen the same way. Six or 7 yolks will equal about 1/2 cup. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of salt or 1 teaspoon of sugar or corn syrup for each 1/2 cup of yolks. Yolks may be frozen at zero degrees for up to 9 months.
Hard cooked yolks may be frozen airtight (no additives) for up to 3 months. Hard cooked whites will become rubbery if frozen and defrosted.
Egg whites can be frozen with no additives for up to one year, and can still be whipped.
Do not re-freeze eggs of any kind.