Mashed Potaotes you can freeze

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't know if you've ever tried freezing regular mashed potatoes before but if you have, you know that they turn out watery and they are not very appetizing to look at. When you take these potatoes out of the freezer, they look just like they did when they went in.

These are great for making individual "TV" dinners with or you can freeze the whole thing in a foil pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

3 lbs. Yukon Gold Potatoes (you can use russets but they don't freeze as well)
1 (8-ounce) package of cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup of buttermilk
salt and pepper to taste

Boil the potatoes until fork tender. Drain thoroughly and return to the pot. Mash the potatoes until the desired consistency. Cut the block of cream cheese into 8 pieces. Add to the hot potatoes. Stir until melted. Stir in the buttermilk, salt and pepper.

Cover tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil and freeze.

To reheat:
You can reheat them frozen or thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
For the oven, reheat covered at 375 degrees, 20 to 30 minutes for thawed potatoes, about 60 minutes straight from freezer.
Or you heat the thawed mashed potatoes in the microwave,covered, stirring every 2 minutes. As the potatoes get hot, they will thicken and return to their original texture.

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I just froze some basil mashed. They thawed OK.

I am most interested in your reheating techniques. I used my foodsaver to vacuum seal them. I think this might have helped in the reheat as no moisture buildup. Foodsaver says I cam boil in the bag. I made the bag too long and it hung over the pot and melted. Bummer.

Anyway, love the concept, need to work on my reheating.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Sorry...I forgot to add the reheating instruction but I fixed it.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This is the best! Is it the cream cheese that makes them freeze better? My family loves mashed potatoes but you're right - they just don't freeze well the way I usually make them. I can't wait to make these, Mama.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't know what makes it work but when I was going to try to cater DD's wedding, I tried these and froze them for about 6 weeks. When I reheated them, they were some of the best mashed potatoes I've ever had. Just make sure you use Yukon Gold Potatoes.

When I froze them, I put a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the top of the mashed potatoes and then covered them with heavy duty tin foil.