What do you keep around for those nights..........

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
.............When you just don't want to actually "cook something" ??

Like, mondays are a real drag 'round here, so it's usually hot dogs, frozen burger patties (I like 'em in Gravy) or my old stand-by,

http://www.on-cor.com/OnCor_comm.html

I have my "favorites", of course............ the "Riblets", the "Salisbury Steaks" are easily doctored.............
.........when they go on sale, the warden always stocks up. This week she brought home a new "flavor" - Stuffed Peppers ( oh, no!) -

Last edited:

Calicolady

Pasta, garlic, oil, canned chopped clams. Or eggs scrambled with something throughen in or poached on an english. Or Johnsonville Stadium Brats.

Tickle Me Elmo

Seems as though we always have plenty of "dished up" plates of leftovers in the freezer for those nights. Right now I'd say we have at least 5 different meals we can choose from.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I keep enough staples that I can whip up a delicious pasta in no time.

For an easy meal, sometimes planned, sometimes not, I keep a box of Zatarain's jambalaya, a smoked sausage, and a pound of frozen shrimp. I cook the rice and sausage in the rice cooker, and throw the shrimp in for 10 minutes at the end. It's delicious!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I keep a box of Zatarain's jambalaya, a smoked sausage, and a pound of frozen shrimp. I cook the rice and sausage in the rice cooker, and throw the shrimp in for 10 minutes at the end. It's delicious!

same here...we also keep a box of Zatarain's Pastalaya and Red Bean's & Rice.

another standby for us is ... red onions,garlic,italian seasoning,black pepper cooked in good olive oil,mixed with pasta sprinkled with lots of parmesan cheese

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I always have pasta various shapes on hand. I make about 6 qts of sauce every two weeks so it is also always on hand as is garlic, olive oil, Italian sausage and butter. So if we are in an Italian mood I'm always ready to go with it with only having to boil some water taking the longest amount of time if I don't have some left over and ready to go.

I also have canned beans, rice (several types), ground meats (both pork and beef as I grind my own), as well as a well stocked pantry with every thing from jarred roasted tomatoes, peppers, olives and condiments. We also always have potatoes, onions as well as frozen vegetables and canned. I also keep salad stuff in the refrigerator, salad dressing and hard boiled eggs. Food is one thing we always have plenty off and if we don't want to cook we simply will do reheat some left overs or order out which isn't too often.

buckytom

Grill Master
there's always a cheese or three in the downstairs kitchen (mine :biggrin:), and usually some kind of dry sausage.
a little of both, with some flatbreads or rustic crackers, some mustard and onion is a good non-cooking meal.

there's several types of canned fish (tuna, salmon, clams, anchovies, sardines, and herring), and lots of pasta. more canned soups and veggies than i'd like to admit, including italian and asian varieties. you could do a lot with those. from pasta dishes to stir frys, and of course just soup.

and finally, the freezer is stuffed with containers of leftovers, 'cause i can't seem to cook for just 2 or 3 people. i'd guess that there's a bout a dozen meals in there, just waiting to be nukes.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
For me, it is almost always breakfast or cheese and crackers and fruit. If soup is made, I will have it.

heb1976

Oh god ... we used to eat OnCor Salisbury steak at least once a week when we first started living together. At $1.69 a box --- it was great. Now I gag at the smell of them. I have bought them maybe 3 times in the past 5 years and every time afterwards, dh and I look at each other and say never again. I like the chicken parmesan better. Altho, I have started making my own. I also always have Ragu on hand so I can just heat it with some spaghetti (you have to add a ton of aarmesan cheese to get through a whole plate of it tho - the sauce is so sweet).

I usually keep a ton of beef flavored Cup Of Soup's on hand. If we have one of the those running short on time days where cooking is not an option - we get frozen pizzas usually. I am so pizza-ed out tho. It's a 40 minute drive to McDonald's so at least it saves me money.

Constance

We usually have leftovers in the freezer, as well as something like frozen fish fillets or egg rolls ready to put in the oven. In the pantry, there's always Spam for Spam'n cheese sans, dried beef for SOS, and canned soup for soup and grilled cheese.

Oh, I almost forgot, canned tuna and canned chicken for quick sandwich spreads or casseroles.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Frozen quick foods like chicken kievs, burgers, sausages, wedges, pizza ravioli etc. Tinned soup, tuna, bottled bolognese sauce. I can usually get something pdq with these things.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Oh yes eggs always a good standy for DW & me The boys can't stand them though.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We usually have leftovers in the freezer, as well as something like frozen fish fillets or egg rolls ready to put in the oven. In the pantry, there's always Spam for Spam'n cheese sans, dried beef for SOS, and canned soup for soup and grilled cheese.

Oh, I almost forgot, canned tuna and canned chicken for quick sandwich spreads or casseroles.

I didn't even think about Spam but used to eat a lot of spam sandwiches as a kid. Slice up some red onion, slice of swiss cheese with a tomato slice and some lettuce used to be great. I don't think I've bought a can meat other than fish off course in years. We used to always have deviled ham as well as liverwurst on hand also but again haven't in years. I do keep cold cuts such as various salamis, hams, summer sausage and the small sticks of Hebrew National Bologna.

homecook

I have a fully stocked pantry of sauces, pastas, soups, etc. I also have 3 freezers full of leftovers, frozen pizzas,and lots of soups and who knows what else. Eggs are usually our standby or pancakes and sausage, bacon.

Barb

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We usually have three choices we can throw together with little to no fan fare:
Pancakes and eggs, frozen chicken Kiev, or sandwiches and soup.
If all fails, take out!

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I don't that much full-on cooking as it is, to me burgers and dogs'd be a big night! They're a big hit with the family too !

Anyway, to answer the question, pasta and bagels.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Looks like pasta is everyone's ace in the hole. Mine, too. I also keep bacon and eggs on hand most of the time. One of my oldest stand by tricks is a huge Stouffer's frozen lasagne. I always have one in the freezer.

PanchoHambre

I usually have frozen meals on hand... sometimes I'm out sometimes I just dont want them... frankly sometimes boiling water for pasta is too much of a PITA

Cheese & Salami I would say is the ultimate fallback when I am really feeling lazy

having a frozen pizza or some frozen burritos on hand is good too

For moderate lazy.. still willing to dirty a pot/turn on the stove Pasta or Eggs

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Pretty much........everything :lol:

Attachments

• pantry-01.jpg
    pantry-01.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 127
  • pantry-02.jpg
    pantry-02.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 130
  • freezer-01.jpg
    freezer-01.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 130

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now that almost looks like a store Mama. But Prego or Ragu, now that would embarrass me to if it was in my pantry. It isn't like a pasta sauce is hard to make or can't be made quickly though I spend about 4 hours every two weeks making 6 qts. :yankchain::hide:

Calicolady

How did you know we were all coming this weekend?

OMG! LOL! Do you ever have buy one/get one sale?

Last edited:

homecook

Looks good Mama!!! I thought my pantry was big (ask Heather, she shops there at times) but you put me to shame.

Barb

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Mama - I see you've got Tone's in there........I'd shrivel up without that product line...............

Grilled cheese and tomato soup

Yep ! Always a Winner 'round here !