Who Owns a Rice Cooker?

Shermie

Site Supporter
Ok guys, how many of you own a rice cooker?

I think they are very nice to have, as they help to eliminate undercooked and burnt rice

Here's mine - a Zojirushi. It's a small one though, able to produce up to 3 cups of cooked rice. I like to refer to it as my Little Buddy!

Attachments

• Zojirushi Rice Cooker..jpg
    Zojirushi Rice Cooker..jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i bought a rice cooker/slow cooker/deep fryer years ago at lechter's. i have never used it for rice LOL i think the brand is eastern.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I like the fact that I don't have to manually time the rice to cook, as the cooker does that automatically and lets you know when the rice is done!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I just replace my 20 year old rice cooker that finally died with a Wolfgang Puck version. It is a bit more in that it is also a full steamer which my old one could do. Mine is shown below and it works great too.

Attachments

• Wolfgang Puck Stainless Steamer and Rice Cooker.jpg
    Wolfgang Puck Stainless Steamer and Rice Cooker.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 134

chowhound

I don't own a rice cooker. I only recently switched (90%) from minute rice to jasmine. I love that stuff. I am on my third bag and haven't run into any undercooked or burnt yet. Wait, I take that back. I did try the microwave directions once for a small amount and ended up with a rice cookie. Not sure what went wrong there, but I have gone back to stovetop cooking.
I've heard rice cookers are nice, but I tend to eat more pasta than rice anyway and a rice cooker isn't high on my list.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I don't own a rice cooker. I only recently switched (90%) from minute rice to jasmine. I love that stuff. I am on my third bag and haven't run into any undercooked or burnt yet. Wait, I take that back. I did try the microwave directions once for a small amount and ended up with a rice cookie. Not sure what went wrong there, but I have gone back to stovetop cooking.
I've heard rice cookers are nice, but I tend to eat more pasta than rice anyway and a rice cooker isn't high on my list.

I like that one also.

Great for making Chinese fried rice!!

I also LOVE Basmati rice as well. Love that nutty aroma and taste!! :biggrin:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, it is so good!!

I'm running out of it though. Gotta get some more soon.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I actually prefer a sauce pan to cook rice but my wife can't handle it. We got one as a gift many years ago and she loved it so we have had that one since. I opted for the WP one I did get more for the steaming than the rice cooker but so far every rice we have made has turned out great.

Now as for fried rice I will make the rice the day before and let it sit in the refrigerator using it once it is a full day old. I then do it in a wok that is very hot.

I'm also not big on most rice dishes though I will eat them which I do often with my favorites being yellow (saffron rice usually - Griggs brand), wild rice, basmati and long grain brown rice among others. White rices for the most part are pretty bland to me unless you really add a lot of other things to them.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I might make some Chinese fried rice soon as well when I get some Jasmine rice.