Julie & Julia

Calicolady

Today on Lifetime network, 6pm. At least here, in my viewing area.
Can't wait. Too hot to do anything else than sit & watch a good movie. Then worry about dindin.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Calicolady. I love that movie.

What's happening in the few SWFL farmers markets this time of year?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
One of the few movies that I HAD to go to the theater to see - couldn't wait to see it later!

Meryl Streep is .... JULIA!

Lee

Calicolady

Shame on me.
Unfortunately I had too many fires in the iron. And each commercial I'd switch to 60 Minutes to see what was going on there and got back to the movie already in progress. Fed the dog, walked the beast/dog, got stuff ready for din - although didn't start cooking til around 10:45pm-still to warm to think of stove. I know I missed major parts.
But Vera, what I did catch-YUM!
Things tend to repeat themselves often down here - so I'm hoping....

Buz, on another note- no farmer's market down here in the summer that I know of.
Too dang hot for the produce and vendors. I don't think even the vendors off 5th?/3rd? Ave. downtown set up in the summer.
I can't blame them. I can't imagine being enthuzed at this time of year.

This year is alot different than last. It's been wet and buggy. And I'll be damned if they spray like they used to for bugs.
I used to have to quiet the beast/dog from barking when the copters & planes flew overhead around 4:30-5:30am spraying.They sounded like a tank was coming in the livingroom. This year I've heard them twice, and that was early in the season.
Yet, last week I got my tax bill and it's there included.
My poor beast/old dog hasn't had a decent walk in months! The burm/easment where we normally walk is bordered with narrow canals riddeled with larva and gator babbies, unlike last year where it was completely dry. That being the case, I remember the pics you posted of the adult gator you had. He must be a MOnSTER by now! And maybe invited friend! Take no chances til you know for sure.

Back to the movie: I don't know why things repeat very frequently down here. Maybe they think the "snowbirds" are too busy and miss it, or the old folks fall asleep and miss it, and it's very frustrating most times to see them same thing listed time and time again (like the modern version of Walking Tall. Who, over 30 would prefer that version to the original?? I ask you? I must have seen that posted 20 times since January of this year alone!)
Anyway, I hope the air the movie again. I know I missed a good thing in it's entirety.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'd already seen it once but still enjoyed it the second time around. Thanks for the heads up CL!

And dang it, I missed Ree Drummond (Pioneer Woman) Saturday on Food Network.....just forgot to watch :(.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have it on DVD.

I want to try the beef recipe featured in the film!! In the film, it got messed up (burnt) and it had to be done all over again.

Saw the movie in the theatre, have the dvd, & hubby recently bought me the book, which is in my ever-growing "to-be-read" pile. :)

I think it was Beef Bourguignon. If you have a slow cooker, you might like this version:

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=250207#post250207

Ahhh - but NOTHING compares to Julia's original version, which I think is what Sherman is looking for. You might be able to find it online, but if not, I'd be VERY surprised if any library didn't have a copy of Julia's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in their stacks. Worth borrowing or buying.