2 large onions, peeled and chopped
3 pints malt vinegar
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cayenne pepper
4 oz table salt
2 lbs sugar

Put apples, plums, and onions into large pot and cover with water. Cook until tender. Put through apple saucer or sieve into large pot.
Add malt vinegar, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cayenne pepper, table salt, and sugar. Cook on low heat until reduced and thick.
Bottle in sterilized jars or keep in fridge indefinitely.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Sounds interesting, but what is HP sauce?

its a sauce known in canada and the UK

different than your average steak sauce, goes on everything from eggs to meat..etc etc

hard to find in USA..believe me i tried..lol

only place i found it consistantly was at Fiesta in Houston,TX

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce

lg_hp-sauce-big.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Maverick2272;36394 Is that just toasted bread with some sort of cheese on top[/QUOTE said:
Uh huh.. placed under the broiler 'til it melts and the bread toasts around the edges.
Add a few drops of HP.
Magic :)

jkath

HP is always available at Cost Plus World Market ( http://www.worldmarket.com/content.jsp?sectionId=600 )
However, I like the "fruity" green label version a bit better than the regular one. It's more tangy (don't know why they call it fruity, other than maybe that's in the ingreds, as it doesn't taste fruity) There's also a BBQ and I think an indian one.
Here it is:
41NNKADC53L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
there is a ribs and chicken one, one called bold, hp chili,hp bbq sauce and another one i just seen at the store the other day

i prefer the original or the fruity one myself

pugger

its a sauce known in canada and the UK

different than your average steak sauce, goes on everything from eggs to meat..etc etc

hard to find in USA..believe me i tried..lol

only place i found it consistantly was at Fiesta in Houston,TX

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Sauce

lg_hp-sauce-big.jpg
Randall's & HEB has it too, pretty common to see in grocer's here now. Maybe due to expats, but I'm intrigued enough to buy some now.

Johnny West

Ha, look what I found!

I've eaten in a 3 Star Michelin restaurant in France and wonderful restaurants throughout Europe and the states - I know a bit about good food. With that said, I like steak sauce with a good steak. I like blue cheese butter with it as well, and sop up the blood and sauce with crusty bread. I don't care if it's a cheap club steak or an expensive Delmonico at Craft Steak.

I prefer H.P but the HP I found in the states tastes off from what I buy in Canada. I'm down to my last bottle and need to make a run to Aldergrove to stock up - ketchup and all dressed potatoe chips, too.

I prefer A-1 to Heinz 57 when there is no H.P. to be found. Awhile back Heinz bought H.P. That's all I know.

Last edited:

Johnny West

Is this what you mean, Ms Muffin? I toasted Tillamook Medium Cheddar in he toaster oven for lunch. I should start rationing the H.P. till I can get to B.C.

IMG_6367.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My mother, her sister and their mother slid a slice of tomato under the cheese and called them Cheese Dreams.

I slide tuna salad under the cheese, sprinkle smoked paprika on top and put them in the toaster oven. TUNA MELTS!!!!!

lol!

Lee

Johnny West

We got these on Amazon yesterday… I still can’t believe Save-On-Foods in Surrey had no H.P. Sauce. They did have the little glass bottles from U.K., in the U.K. Section, at almost CA$6 a bottle. No thanks.

79EBB7EE-0AAE-43BF-832B-5451EFC46D5B.jpeg