Cuban Dinner With A Cuban Refugee

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
DW and I just returned from a fantastic dinner with brand new friends. He is Rafael Diaz, a four year Cuban refugee, and his wonderful wife Dotsi, a Latvian immigrant. Rafael spent fourteen days on a boat from Cuba to Honduras, then trekked through Guatemala and Mexico before sneaking across the border into the US. I didn't realize it before, but the Cuban wet foot, dry foot rule applies to border crossings beyond the beaches so he was allowed to stay. Rafael is going to become very successful in the US. He works 40 hours a week as a high rise condo maintenance man and an additional 40 to 50 hours a week in his home repair/handyman business. His English is understandable and getting better by the day but often relies on Dotsi (who does not speak Spanish) to convey the message.

Tonight DW and I met them at an old Mexican restaurant, Tex-Mex, in Bonita Springs. The restaurant is now owned by another Cuban refugee (8 years) and the food is almost all authentic Cuban with a little Mexican thrown in. He really needs to change the name of that place because there is no indication of Cuban food being served until you walk in the door.

We had Cuban sandwiches (they bake their own bread), fried plantains, rice and beans, pulled pork, and beer. To top it off, Rafael gifted me two Cuban cigars because he knows I like them so much. The food was as good as it gets. The restaurant employees are all family members including 87 year old Grandpa and I'm really sorry I didn't get his picture.

Rafael and Dotsi insisted that they pick up the tab and I was knocked off my feet as they are a couple who I have working on some home issues that must be corrected prior to a sale closing early next month. They'll be doing some painting here on Saturday so I'm going to do my best to return tonight's favors by stuffing them with crab legs and bottles of Barolo I brought back from Rome several years ago.

Attachments

• 100_1480.jpg
    100_1480.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 213
  • 100_1481.jpg
    100_1481.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 100_1482.jpg
    100_1482.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 100_1488.jpg
    100_1488.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 210
  • 100_1489.jpg
    100_1489.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 209

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well as someone born in Miami Florida BC (before cubans) I would like to change the rules. Sorry Buzz but I consider them illegal alians period.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That’s freaking awesome Buzz! He looks like a good guy with a good woman at his side. Nice couple! Looks like you had a blast. I envy you! :clap:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Well as someone born in Miami Florida BC (before cubans) I would like to change the rules. Sorry Buzz but I consider them illegal alians period.

Rafael came here to better himself because it is not possible in Cuba. He works 80 to 90 hours a week and takes one week off a year. He will be a great addition to this nation comprised of immigrants. Try and find men like that among this country's white trash heap of lazy ass welfare bloodsuckers.

homecook

Looks like a great place!! Good food, good drink, good friends, what more could you ask for!! And a couple cigars to boot. lol That food looks really great.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Rafael came here to better himself because it is not possible in Cuba. He works 80 to 90 hours a week and takes one week off a year. He will be a great addition to this nation comprised of immigrants. Try and find men like that among this country's white trash heap of lazy ass welfare bloodsuckers.
To coin your own words to me, "tell us how you really feel.":lol: I have no problem with immigrants as long as they are here legally and are working towards citizenship. All 4 of my grandparents came here from Europe, learned to speak English, got jobs and became US citizens. IMO, that's the way it should be. Your mileage may vary.

Hmmmmmmm, I wonder if this Slovenian/American Handyman could eek out a living in Florida for the Winter. I hate the cold and detest the snow, and I already speak pretty good English and fluent "Shop!". My papers are all in order and I would just need a place to stay with a lockable storage facility or garage for the truck. I hear work trucks are an easy target for the street people who are looking for stuff to pawn for drug money. Every silver cloud has a dark lining.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Looks like a great place!! Good food, good drink, good friends, what more could you ask for!! And a couple cigars to boot. lol That food looks really great.
you made me think of that joke about what clinton said cigars are good for!! :yum: i have no clue why i thought of that, maybe the fact that i have been awake since hmmmmmmmmm crap i can't remember!! but before i woke up this time i had about 4 hours sleep and my mind gets strange!! :yum:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Mmmmmm, Cuban food!! Looks great Buz and sounds like you had a great time too. Course now I am hungering for a good Cuban pressed sammie...

As for illegal immigrants, just like every other section of American or the world for that matter, some are good people some aren't. These sound like the kind of people I would want around me.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I would appreciate it if this thread would remain non-political. Thank you.
Buzz, the pictures are great!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I would appreciate it if this thread would remain non-political. Thank you.
Buzz, the pictures are great!

I don't get it, Susan. The last post that is even remotely political was made by me in post #4 eight days ago so to what are you referring?