Electric Water Kettle. Who Has one?

Shermie

Site Supporter
How many of you own an electric water kettle?

I find mone to be very useful! i use it, of course, to heat water for a cuppa Joe, hot tea, TheraFlu, dissolving Jello, making hot chocolate and for using hot water to dissolve the sugar when making iced tea or Kool-Aid.

It's almost like having a hot water disspenser on your sink! Here's what mine looks like below. :)

Attachments

• Chef's ChoiceElectric Water Kettle..jpg
    Chef's ChoiceElectric Water Kettle..jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 149

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I had one when I lived in the UK, however right now I prefer my whistling tea kettle, drives the dog mad and she gets her exercise that way!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I use a microwave when I need water hot in a hurry. My wife has a small whisle type for she has had for years that just sits there un used for the most part. She has a decated tea system as well as a coffee maker so rare we might need hot water in a hurry any more.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I used to use the microwave to heat water for a cuppa Joe, but disaster strikes when I do that! Not with the microwave itself.

But when you've boiled a cup of water in the microwave and then add instant coffee to it, the hot water then boils over, creating a mess all over the place!!

This is what is known as a backlash effect, something to do with the water being boiled in the microwave.

The molecules or molecular structure that is created in nuking the water to the boiling point presents sort of a shockwave for the water, quite similar to a volcano that is about to erupt and the lava overflows down to the base of the volcano. Or either an aftershock from an earthquake or a small propeller plane taking off immediately in the backlash of a 777 jumbo jetliner that has taken off first!

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I used to use the microwave to heat water for a cuppa Joe, but disaster strikes when I do that! Not with the microwave itself.

But when you've boiled a cup of water in the microwave and then add instant coffee to it, the hot water then boils over, creating a mess all over the place!!

This is what is known as a backlash effect, something to do with the water being boiled in the microwave.

The molecules or molecular structure that is created in nuking the water to the boiling point presents sort of a shockwave for the water, quite similar to a volcano that is about to erupt and the lava overflows down to the base of the volcano. Or an aftershock from an earthquake.

Here is a trick to stop that completely. Boil the water in a measuring cup or something microwave safe. Now remove the water and pour it into your coffee cup then add like you would normally. Now bubbling up at all give it a try and you will see. The boil over has a lot to do with it still being in the container you heated it in, while pouring it into another cups stops the movement of the molecules. Now why it works I don't know but would guess the pouring itself of the fact that the fresh cup is cooler and stable.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Good advice, but at this point, I might as well just use the water kettle, since it boils a cup of water just as fast as the microwave does.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We have one that we use to make hot tea and coffee as well as instant soup cups for the kids. We got rid of our coffee makers and went to a French press so that is where it sees its most use.

FooD

The electric water kettle sounds like a good idea. The hot water is always there and ready.
I've forgotten and boiled (and ruined) my kettle dry on a number of occasions on the gas stove. Not good.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I usually fill up the electric one so that doesn't happen.

Once the water boils, it shuts itself off. I always unplug it anyway when done. To avoid an accidental turn-on.