Tortilla pizza

chowhound

With much input from this thread and visiting FMD's site, http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4959 , I made up a tortilla pizza tonight. My first.

First I made some pico using onion, tomato, jalapeno and lime juice. Usually I add cillantro if I'm going to be eating it cold in a tortilla, but it was going to be a topping for the pizza, so I left it out. I let this to set a while and chill.

Then I pretty much followed FMD's lead for the sauce, but without measuring anything and changing a little.... I made a roux using EVOO and flour, added what seemed like a lot of chili powder and cayenne pepper and kept heating it and stirring, then instead of water and bullion, I added some beef stock that had been left out overnight, (You can skip that part ;)), then about half a large can (22oz?) of tomato puree with a few dashes of Italian seasoning. Then more chili powder and red pepper again. And I completely forgot the garlic. Oh well, it's St Paddy's Day.

I bought some rope sausage at the local grocer, cut it apart and sauted it in EVOO with a little bit of packet taco seasoning sprinkled on it. It's a local sausage and definitely not It or Pol. I wish I knew how they flavored it. I'm sure chorizo would rock here, but they don't sell that. I tasted some as it was cooking and the flavor with the taco seasoning was fantastic.

The oven was on at 425F and I set my CI skillet on a burner at med/low with probably too much EVOO in it. I definitely could have used less. I grabbed two tortillas and sprinkled some shredded pepperjack and cheddar cheese on one, then laid the other on top. Into the skillet it went. I lifted it and checked the bottom, then pulled the skillet off of the flame when it was browned lightly.

After flipping the tort pizza shell in the skillet, I put some of the sauce on it, the sausage, the pico and the cheese. Into the oven it went for about 8 minutes. This seemed kind of long, but the skillet had cooled off some and I think the oil in the skillet was preventing the bottom tort from cooking like I wanted it to. I checked it twice and at 8 minutes, it looked done. The edges on the top tort were getting a nice color. The pico as you can see was not shrivelled from the heat at all, but warmed through nicely.

And after it was put on the plate, a round pizza cutter cut right through it and left me with pieces I could pick up and eat like a pizza.

I'm not saying to make this, as I've only made it once, but I know I'm making it again. The sauce is very different. The beef stock I used gave it a unique taste, like I'm sure Derek's bullion did, but it's also "tomatoey" tasting like a taco sauce and very spicy. But in a nice way.

Attachments

• 3-17-pico1.jpg
    3-17-pico1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,065
  • 3-17sauce&sausage2.jpg
    3-17sauce&sausage2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 3-17sauce&sausage&torts3.jpg
    3-17sauce&sausage&torts3.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 3-17firstflipbuilding4.jpg
    3-17firstflipbuilding4.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,067
  • 3-17picoadded5.jpg
    3-17picoadded5.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,064
  • 3-17ontheplate6.jpg
    3-17ontheplate6.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1,065

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
ooooo! I just saw this, chow! Your tortilla pizza looks fabulous!!!

I make "tortizzas" (I THINK I coined the phrase, but maybe not) pretty much the way you do, only with one tortilla. No sauce, just some cherry tomatoes, pepperoni, cheese, and Mexican oregano, so they are thin and crispy and a great snack. Quick to make, too.

After browning one side of the tortilla in a LITTLE oil in a CI pan, flip it, top it and put it under the broiler just until cheese melts.

I like the way you "stuffed" cheese between two tortillas, though! Yum!

Here's mine.

Lee

Attachments

• tortizza.jpg
    tortizza.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 982
Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
looks awesome QSis...we made these last week as well but mine never looked as good as the others so i didnt post pics..lol:bonk:

ooooo! I just saw this, chow! Your tortilla pizza looks fabulous!!!

I make "tortizzas" (I THINK I coined the phrase, but maybe not) pretty much the way you do, only with one tortilla. No sauce, just some cherry tomatoes, pepperoni and cheese, so they are thin and crispy and a great snack. Quick to make, too.

After browning one side of the tortilla in a LITTLE oil in a CI pan, flip it, top it and put it under the broiler just until cheese melts.

I like the way you "stuffed" cheese between two tortillas, though! Yum!

Here's mine.

Lee

chowhound

Thanks, Lee :smile:

Your's looks delicious. I'm going to try one with pepperoni and cherry tomatoes. I need to get an oven with a better broiler, too. That cheese looks fantastic.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Do you like Romano and mozzarella CH?
slice roma tomatoes, thin. Sprinkle the tortilla or dough with oregano, put tomatoes on and top with shredded Romano and mozzarella. Grilled chicken is really good with it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, yeah, TG, I forgot! Mexican oregano really makes it!

Lee

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Do you like Romano and mozzarella CH?
slice roma tomatoes, thin. Sprinkle the tortilla or dough with oregano, put tomatoes on and top with shredded Romano and mozzarella. Grilled chicken is really good with it.

my favorite way is to...

sprinkle generously with good olive oil,fresh mozza,tomatoes,fresh basil - fresh cracked black pepper... basically a margherita pizza

looks similar to this one

SuperStock_1555R-192057.jpg

Derek

Banned
Thank you, Chowhound.

I play with all sorts of spices, and If I see a concoction coming together in my head, I jump on it and make it and write it down.

Thank you again, YOU made my day by making a recipe from me.

"Cheers"

Last edited:

Kei

I love tortilla pizza! I sometimes put another tortilla on top with some more sauce and cheese layered on top of that.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's been quite awhile since I made tortizzas - made a couple of them the other night.

The edge got a little charred on one, but still good.

And not much is faster to make!

Lee

Attachments

• tortizza 1.JPG
    tortizza 1.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,000

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
When our DD was a teen, she worked in a dry cleaning store next to a Mexican restaurant we used to patronize. They started taking over experiments to the kids working in the dry cleaning store. One of those was fajittzas. They used huge 12" tortillas and Mexican toppings, including fajitas. The kids loved them, so they put them on the menu and they were a big hit.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made these tortizzas the other night - first time in a long time.

I had plum tomatoes, but the cherry tomatoes work better to keep the tortilla crisp.

Lee

Attachments

• Tortizza.JPG
    Tortizza.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 169
  • Tortizza plated.JPG
    Tortizza plated.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 170