Chile Relleno Casserole

K

Kimchee

An interesting take on chili rellenos! The egg mixture makes this kind of
like a frittata !

(you can omit the roasting of all but the poblanos)
(and can use canned tomato sauce with green chilis added)
6 fresh poblano chilies, roasted with skins removed.
6 Roma tomatoes, roasted, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 jalapeno, roasted chopped, ribs and seeds removed.
1/2 white onion, roasted, chopped
1 lb chorizo sausage (if using links, remove skins)
4-6 oz Cotija or other crumbling mexican cheese
1 tsp oregano
1 cup Montery Jack cheese, shredded
6 eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/6th cup flour
1.5 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup or so chicken stock

Roast the poblanos till the skin is blackened. Steam in a bag for 15 minutes, then scrape skins off. Cut off stem end, remove seeds.
Chop the tomatos, jalapeno, onion and garlic, saute in 1 tbsp olive oil. Add chicken stock, pinch of salt and let simmer for 20 minutes. Use immersion blender or mash into a sauce consistency.
Meanwhile, brown the chorizo sausage and drain. Mix in the Cotija cheese and oregano. Use to stuff the poblanos.
Put tomato sauce in bottom of an 8x8 oven dish, then put stuffed chilis on top. Sprinkle 1/2 the Jack cheese on top.
Whisk the eggs, baking powder and flour together, then pour over the chilies. Top with the rest of the Jack cheese.
Bake in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes then enjoy!

Attachments

• ChiliRellenoCasserole2.jpg
    ChiliRellenoCasserole2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 742

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: Chili Relleno Casserole

I LOVE chile rellenos, but hate making them! It's the thing I always order in a Mexican restaurant!

This casserole looks great, Kim! Does it reheat well?

What would you think of the idea of me stopping the recipe before the eggs part? Just baking the stuffed poblanos on top of the tomato sauce?

Lee

K

Kimchee

Reheats fine, I think.

And I don't think leaving out the eggs would hurt it at all. Maybe add a bit more
sauce......

Deelady

Looks wonderful!!
Ever since I had Chili Rellenos at a restaurant with pico de gallo stuffing I can't go back to the traditional....so I'll be adding meat to this one :)
I once had the most perfect recipe for the filling mixture but I had a moron momment and let a friend borrow it to make for dinner....and gave her the orig copy! *sigh* have never been able to find the same recipe again! :( Its been about 5 yrs now...and I am STILL determined!!! lol

I make something similar, but without the egg mixture. I just roast, steam, peel, seed, & stuff the poblanos with cheese & place them in a baking dish atop a layer of seasoned tomato sauce (or red enchilada sauce). Then a little more sauce & cheese on top & bake until cheese is melted & everything is heated through. Serve on a bed of yellow or Spanish-style rice.

K

Kimchee

That sounds great! What do you use for stuffing them?

I use whatever I have on hand or whatever I have a taste for at the time - cheddar, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, sometimes a mix of several, etc. I'm not a big fan of the authentic Mexican "crumbling" cheeses I've tried - find them a bit too bland & slightly sour.

K

Kimchee

We finished these up for lunch and decided they definitely needed MORE cheese inside and less egg outside. Not bad, but definitely could be improved!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Thanks for the update, Kimchee!

And I'm liking all the other helpful hints, too!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Well, after a decade, for my Lenten Friday meal, I finally made this as written, except that I omitted the chorizo (thanks, Kimchee!)

It was good, not great.

First, making that PIA sauce wasn't necessary, was bland, was pretty much Italian. I would use an enchilada sauce next time.

Second, using Cotija cheese was not what I was looking for (you were right, BreezyCooking). I would use Monterey Jack IN the poblanos, or some other sort of oozing, melty cheese.

Otherwise, it beats battering and frying the stuffed poblanos (which I adore. I just don't want to do it.)

Wish more Boston restaurants had the real thing on the menu!

Anyway, with those changes, I would make it again.

Lee

Attachments

• 1 roasted peppers.JPG
    1 roasted peppers.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 578
  • 2 Roasted vegs.JPG
    2 Roasted vegs.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 575
  • 3 Stuffed poblanos.JPG
    3 Stuffed poblanos.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 585
  • 4 sauce.JPG