Bacon Horsradish potato salad

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I got the recipe from https://www.foodiewithfamily.com/bacon-horseradish-potato-salad/
Craig really likes this and asks for it nearly every time we have potato salad now.

She gives several tips for the recipe, the chief one being make it ahead and let it sit. I don't usually let it sit overnight, but I do always make it early in the day so it has several hours in the refrigerator once it's put together.

I usually end up adding even more horseradish than the recipe calls for.

Ingredients

• 2 pounds small red potatoes scrubbed and cut into even, bite-sized pieces
  • 6 green onions scrubbed, trimmed, and cut into thin slices, white pieces separated from the green
  • 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 12 slices of bacon fried 'til crisp, drained on paper towel, and crumbled
  • 4 hard boiled eggs, Optional!, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 cup mayonnaise or more, to taste
  • 1 tablespoon to 1/3 cup prepared horseradish to taste
  • kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Instructions

• Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it generously. Add the potatoes to the water, return to a boil, and lower the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook the potatoes just until fork tender and drain immediately in a colander. Let the potatoes stand in a colander to drain for at least 3 minutes, then transfer the still hot potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the thinly sliced white parts of the green onions, then drizzle the apple cider vinegar over the top and gently toss. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator to chill completely before proceeding.
  • When the potatoes are cold through and through, remove the plastic wrap and add the crumbled bacon (reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish), chopped hard-boiled eggs (if using), mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon of the horseradish, and thinly sliced green parts of the green onions (reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish). Gently toss to combine, taste the salad, adjust with salt, pepper, and additional horseradish (if needed), stir again to combine, and adjust as necessary. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight before serving. Before serving, stir well, taste, and adjust with additional dressing if needed. Garnish with reserved bacon and green onions!
  • Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Attachments

• potato salad.jpg
    potato salad.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 973
Last edited by a moderator:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
that one should also try with a vinaigrette ala German potato salad.
I like the red potatoes done in (thick) slices vs. 'chopped' - and the German version would have chopped parsley.....
but the rest is dead-on delish. sub oil for the mayo and it's a brave new world!

Johnny West

I got the recipe from https://www.foodiewithfamily.com/bacon-horseradish-potato-salad/
Craig really likes this and asks for it nearly every time we have potato salad now.

She gives several tips for the recipe, the chief one being make it ahead and let it sit. I don't usually let it sit overnight, but I do always make it early in the day so it has several hours in the refrigerator once it's put together.

I usually end up adding even more horseradish than the recipe calls for.

Ingredients

• 2 pounds small red potatoes scrubbed and cut into even, bite-sized pieces
  • 6 green onions scrubbed, trimmed, and cut into thin slices, white pieces separated from the green
  • 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 12 slices of bacon fried 'til crisp, drained on paper towel, and crumbled
  • 4 hard boiled eggs, Optional!, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 cup mayonnaise or more, to taste
  • 1 tablespoon to 1/3 cup prepared horseradish to taste
  • kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Instructions

• Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it generously. Add the potatoes to the water, return to a boil, and lower the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook the potatoes just until fork tender and drain immediately in a colander. Let the potatoes stand in a colander to drain for at least 3 minutes, then transfer the still hot potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the thinly sliced white parts of the green onions, then drizzle the apple cider vinegar over the top and gently toss. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator to chill completely before proceeding.
  • When the potatoes are cold through and through, remove the plastic wrap and add the crumbled bacon (reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish), chopped hard-boiled eggs (if using), mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon of the horseradish, and thinly sliced green parts of the green onions (reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish). Gently toss to combine, taste the salad, adjust with salt, pepper, and additional horseradish (if needed), stir again to combine, and adjust as necessary. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight before serving. Before serving, stir well, taste, and adjust with additional dressing if needed. Garnish with reserved bacon and green onions!
  • Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I just looked at and passed on little red potatoes today. Now I’ll have to go back and get some.