Mini meat loaves stuffed with HB eggs

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My Dad is visiting me and he requested this dish.

With 1 pound of ground beef (or whatever combo of ground meat you wish), make your favorite meatloaf recipe.

Divide the meat loaf mixture into 4 equal parts. Form flat patties and wrap each around a hard boiled egg, closing the meat completely over the eggs.

(We didn't wrap a slice of bacon around each mini loaf, but it was suggested).

Place each mini loaf on a Pam'd, foiled cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes.

Fantastic!

Served with white rice and home grown Roma beans. (my plating and photography could have improved!)

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_5366.JPG
    IMG_5366.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 1,107
  • IMG_5367.JPG
    IMG_5367.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 1,077

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, same idea as a Scotch egg, but this is ground beef instead of sausage and baked instead of fried.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made these again last night, since Dad is visiting. Forgot to add parsley.

Served with mashed rutabaga with carmelized onions.

Lee

Attachments

• meatloaves plated.JPG
    meatloaves plated.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 1,003
Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
when I do small ones, I slice the egg in half "longwise" and keep the flat side down...
the juices run into the yolk and make for yummy.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
when I do small ones, I slice the egg in half "longwise" and keep the flat side down...
the juices run into the yolk and make for yummy.

That sounds like a tasty idea, Tom! I wonder if it is worth foregoing the stunning presentation of a whole egg. :biggrin:

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I wonder what would happen if you used a soft boiled egg? I've been playing with my new toy, a sous vide wand, I got for Christmas and I can gently coax out very soft boiled eggs whole. Obviously, you'd have to be careful wrapping it so as not to squish it. I wonder if the yolk would cook hard?

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
worth a shot - the whites set to firm at ~180'F and the yolks are soft at ~155'F.

taking the ground beef to even the "recommended" 160'F - as long as you don't hold it there - should leave them semi soft.