Speck, Salt Pork, Pork Belly, Fatback discussions

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: German Carbonara

Ah! Okay, well it looks and sounds similar to salt pork.

I wonder if I smoked a chunk of salt pork if it would be good.

How did you guys smoke your Speck? Temp, wood, length of time?

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter

Wood was alder in order to have just a mild smoke flavor. 200ish until internal temp was around 150.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Wood was alder in order to have just a mild smoke flavor. 200ish until internal temp was around 150.

Thanks, Karen!

I bought a chunk of fairly well-marbled salt pork today and tossed it in the freezer for a warmer weather smoke-a-thon.

I'm excited to try it!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter

like so many things, Speck is not a simple topic.

there are two varieties of "Speck" which also exist in the language on this side of the pond:
fatback ("Rückenspeck" - Rücken=back)
and
pork belly ("Bauchspeck" - Bauch=stomach area aka belly)

a third variant "Schinkenspeck" is cut from the leg/ham - most used as a "cold cut" for breakfast. it's not "ham" one would want to use for a sandwich - it's a cut/cure/slice one drapes on a unsalted buttered fresh Broetchen half . . . toothpicks at breakfast +20 required.....

here's the mega-issue: every German town has (multiple) butchers who prepare their stuff in their own manner. in USA we have 2-3 pork houses and it is "all made the same." methods for Speck include salting, drying, curing, brining, smoking. along with dozens of spicing options.
for people with European exposure, the problem becomes not only is it "authentic" but is it the flavor of what the exposed considers "authentic"

I have never found any Speck in USA from any domestic source that matches my Swabia or Bayern experiences. so, basically if making you own - do it like you find it yummy and worry not about what it's "supposed" to taste like.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Well, I've never smoked pork belly, but that sounds interesting, too.

Hey, is pork belly just unsalted salt pork???

I should probably move this Speck discussion to a thread of its own. Seems to be hijacking Medtran's beautiful carbonara post.

Lee

Last edited:

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter

Pork belly is what is used to make bacon, so if you've ever made homemade bacon, you've smoked pork belly. We've done that several times. In fact, we may be making some soon, as I need to pull a slab of pork belly out of the freezer for Asian pork belly buns. Depending on how big it is, some may get made into speck or bacon, we'll see.

I believe fat back is what is used to make salt pork, at least good quality salt pork. I need to order some fat back from our heritage pig source, central Florida, because I want to make Lardo, just need to get the marble box made that I need.