Joined a long time ago. Lurking, mostly

calcmandan

Hi folks. At home cook here. As a hobbyist cook, my skills improve from time-to-time. I joined this forum with hopes to learn from others and share lessons learned.

I work in the IT field for the government. My hobbies are wide and expansive. I just wish there were a pill I could take to restore the brain like sleep could. I simply don't have time for everything, except cooking.

So anyway, I hope to make lasting friendships on here.

Shout-out from Northern California.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great to have you join us, calcmandan!

What are some of your specialties?

Lee

calcmandan

Thank you. I was starting to think this forum is dead.

I don't really have specialties per se. I sort of do everything from stocks to desserts. I tend to throw together as I go.

For instance, and this isn't elaborate by any means, I had turkey breast in the freezer so as it was thawing I cooked Mirepoix, scallions, garlic head, italian mix of herbs, carrots ginger in a sauce pan filled with vegetable broth and a dash of scotch. After it was cooked and reduced I threw it in a vitamix until it was soup-esque. It was mixed in with the turkey meat, egg, panko. Flattened them into patties and sauteed them.

Oven roasted mixed veggies with mini bell pepper, carrot, zuchini and topped with a reduced basalmic glaze.

Served with a warm quinoa salad mixed with roma tomatoes, diced cucumber, and sauced with a light rice vinegar and northern california extra virgin olive oil.

Dessert were white cake cupcakes. Roughly broken up in bowls, covered in cooked/sweetened mixed berries from costco, and topped with a heavy wooden spoonful of creme fraishe. Served with espresso.

On the other hand, i'll make coq au vin or homemade pasta for ravioli or lasagna and even spagetti. I'd like to learn how to make tortellini. I enjoy doing crepes and flourless chocolate cakes.

What are your specialties?

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, calc, you write as well as you cook! Your turkey breast dish sounds wonderful! I'm in the market for a turkey breast myself - I'm wanting to roast it on my rotisserie over charcoal.

I make many recipes for the first time. I rip recipes out of my cooking magazines and print them off of the internet, including many recipes that are posted here by forum members.

So many recipes, so little time - I rarely make the same one twice.

That said, my mother's recipe for baked chicken pieces http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13774&highlight=QSis+chicken is my "specialty", i.e. my favorite way to eat chicken, and I've made and eaten a LOT of different chicken recipes.

Also, I am a former competitive barbequer, so when I smoke brisket, pork butt and ribs, I pretty much stick with the same rub (Head Country), sauces (varies by meat) and techniques that I've had success with at contests.

As for the activity on this forum, our active members are relatively few, but we get along amazingly well! The dinner threads each week are where members post most often.

Oh, and we LOVE to see each other's photos - of food, family, and other interests.

Jump on in!

Lee

lilbopeep

🍀🍀🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Welcome back Calc. I also do my share of lurking.

You have me wanting turkey breast. I have one in the freezer. A freebie from Easter. I see turkey in the near future. One day when not to hot. I may stove top smoke it.

I don't really have a specialty. I dabble in many styles.

I would love to visit you Lee and share some Q!! Your stuff looks amazing and I could use some tips.

calcmandan

Forgive me. The chicken breast was ground. They were supposed to be meatballs and I always forget the meat is impossible to form into balls and keep that shape during the fry.

lilbopeep

🍀🍀🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Forgive me. The chicken breast was ground. They were supposed to be meatballs and I always forget the meat is impossible to form into balls and keep that shape during the fry.

I add bread crumbs, egg and grated Italian cheese (and any spices for the end dish) to mine. I use a disher/scoop to form. I don't fry meatballs any more. I put them on a jelly roll pan and bake till nice and brown.
I have some ground chicken breast in my freezer that I am planning on making for chicken stock based soups.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.
I can't say I have any specialties.
I enjoy cooking a great deal, like to keep it simple most of the time, but also surprise myself now and then.
Enjoy being here and share your recipes and photos too.