Let's Talk ... Sauces, Dips, Gravies Etc.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Re: Let's Talk ... Sauces, Dips, Gravies Etc

FYI, I have worked with master chefs just about all of my working career. I worked with a master chef and a pastry chef in culinary arts training course. You've got some nerve asking me that.

So please do not question my credentials. I go on MY experience, you go on yours. Done. :thankyou:

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Luvs - Have you ever made the Greek lemon and egg sauce/soup? If so, any pointers? Have you ever tasted of it? If so, what did you think?

Sherman - I didn't know that you have had culinary training. Same questions for you too.

lilbopeep

🍀🍀🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

I make gravy in pots, pans I fry meat in and want to get all the brown goodies left in the pan. I sometimes deglaze and make gravy right in the roasting pan after I roast chicken, beef or the t-day turkey in. My favorite pans to cook in are cast iron (I even roast eye round in my cast iron fry pan with a round rack placed in it, then make the gravy right in that pan after roast and rack is removed) but most of my pots (cuisinart and kitchen aid) have flat bottoms and rounded sides. I guess I have the best of both worlds because my gravies taste good whatever I use .... Or I may just be lucky. Just my 2¢

I do have one of the all clad sauce pans and I hate it. The handle is to long and heavy so the pot tips over and spills whatever is in it all over the stove.

Sorry but these are my experiences I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter

sigh. let me count the ways so many pots and pans are designed and named . . . .

for what reason I'm not all too sure.

there be pots specifically "labeled" as 'saucier' - they typically have a rounded bottom chine/corner/whatever-you-want-to-call-that-part-of-the-pot/pan.

the kitchen rumor has it they are so designed such that using a whisk can "reach into the corners" - this is certainly a reasonable truth, subject to "sizes of geometry"

I also have straight sided pots / casseroles - and I also have wooden paddle type doohickies that will clean out the corners, no problemo. a whisk, a wood thingie, a loaf of bread, a chunk of cheese, a bottle of vino. I'm happy and it all works.

I have also an "evasee" - big hunking deep pan with rounded corners and sloped sides. does a super job as a 'faux wok' and for southern fried chicken.

abandon ye all snobby terms who enter the kitchen and go with what works for you.

Shermie

Site Supporter

I make gravy in pots, pans I fry meat in and want to get all the brown goodies left in the pan. I sometimes deglaze and make gravy right in the roasting pan after I roast chicken, beef or the t-day turkey in. My favorite pans to cook in are cast iron (I even roast eye round in my cast iron fry pan with a round rack placed in it, then make the gravy right in that pan after roast and rack is removed) but most of my pots (cuisinart and kitchen aid) have flat bottoms and rounded sides. I guess I have the best of both worlds because my gravies taste good whatever I use .... Or I may just be lucky. Just my 2¢

I do have one of the all clad sauce pans and I hate it. The handle is to long and heavy so the pot tips over and spills whatever is in it all over the stove.

Sorry but these are my experiences I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

You're not stepping on anyone's toes.

Luvs had questioned my credentials, and I don't take too kindly to that. She insulted me by doing that!

Seems that every time that I start a thread or comment in one, she has to argue with me and seemingly wants to start a fight! We are supposed to be good people here, and I do not come here to fight with anyone. :angry:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter

Sherm -

the problem is, you've not made notice of your credentials. I joined in 2009. never had an inkling you had any professional experience. otoh, luvs frequently mentions cooking professionally and all the schufft she hmmm, errr, 'enjoys' about that.

methinks you've overreached the insult part.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

Luvs - Have you ever made the Greek lemon and egg sauce/soup? If so, any pointers? Have you ever tasted of it? If so, what did you think?

Sherman - I didn't know that you have had culinary training. Same questions for you too.

i know we made a soup of that type, cooksie. we've also ordered similar soup. details to follow- i hafta get pretty fer my friend. slap a layer of liptint on & pull my hair into a fashion.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter

Sherm -

the problem is, you've not made notice of your credentials. I joined in 2009. never had an inkling you had any professional experience. otoh, luvs frequently mentions cooking professionally and all the schufft she hmmm, errr, 'enjoys' about that.

methinks you've overreached the insult part.

I HAVE cook professionally for several catering companies. I was a cook for United Airlines, I've cooked at many restaurants during my professional career. I've also worked in a bakery where I've filled fruit filling into danish before they were baked, anf I've frosted cakes as my job assignment.

I should not have to explain what exactly I did during my working career. My word should be enough.

She made it appear as though I was lying, sensationalizing or generalizing, and I don't lie about what I did for a living. :ohmy:

Guts

I HAVE cook professionally for several catering companies. I was a cook for United Airlines, I've cooked at many restaurants during my professional career. I've also worked in a bakery where I've filled fruit filling into danish before they were baked, anf I've frosted cakes as my job assignment.

I should not have to explain what exactly I did during my working career. My word should be enough.

She made it appear as though I was lying, sensationalizing or generalizing, and I don't lie about what I did for a living. :ohmy:

Posts like this is what tears a group apart stop it! stop it now grow up

Shermie

Site Supporter

Posts like this is what tears a group apart stop it! stop it now grow up

My only shortcoming is that I was being insulted & ridiculed. Should not be allowed to happen.

I would not have posted that post had this not occured. If this happens again, I will put her on my ignored list. And BTW, I DID successfully complete the culinary arts course, received a certificate of accomplishment, took the ServeSafe test, completed that as well and became ServeSafe certified. :nono1:

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peep's Dried Fruit Sauce/Spread

dried_fruit_sauce_spread_051410_P1050537.JPG

Cooksie

Site Supporter
These may not count because they're bottled sauces. I bought some Lemon Dill Caper Finishing Sauce that I'm going to try on Salmon. It looks really good, kind of like a hollandaise or bearnaise base.

Also bought some Great Value Boom Boom Sauce that I'll try on shrimp. I think the Boom Boom sauce is their answer to Bang Bang sauce...won't know until I try it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
These may not count because they're bottled sauces. I bought some Lemon Dill Caper Finishing Sauce that I'm going to try on Salmon. It looks really good, kind of like a hollandaise or bearnaise base.

Also bought some Great Value Boom Boom Sauce that I'll try on shrimp. I think the Boom Boom sauce is their answer to Bang Bang sauce...won't know until I try it.

Reports. please!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I tried the Boom Boom sauce on fish tacos and really liked it. I'm pretty sure it's too hot for you, Q-Sis. If I remember correctly, you can't even do mild Rotel, so it's probably a big no-go for you.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I tried the Boom Boom sauce on fish tacos and really liked it. I'm pretty sure it's too hot for you, Q-Sis. If I remember correctly, you can't even do mild Rotel, so it's probably a big no-go for you.

Right you are, Cooksie! Thanks for the report (and warning!).

:)

Lee

Moxie

Lee,
Copycat Bang Bang Sauce is just mayo blended with sweet Thai chili sauce, and sriracha (or other hot sauce) added to taste. If you like the flavor profile, you could just dial back on the sriracha.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lee,
Copycat Bang Bang Sauce is just mayo blended with sweet Thai chili sauce, and sriracha (or other hot sauce) added to taste. If you like the flavor profile, you could just dial back on the sriracha.

That actually sounds great, Moxie, and I have all that stuff - thanks!

John, great website!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Did not like the Lemon Dill Caper Finishing Sauce:

IMG-7146.jpg

It tasted like pure mustard. I should have read the ingredients as the first one listed is a raspberry mustard...yuck :(.

Don't know what's wrong with my camera. I tried to re-set the date, but it still shows some way back date...oh well :confused:.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
With the Super Bowl coming up (if it truly happens this year), it's a great time for a bump for dips.
I always go back to Velveeta, Ro-tel, and browned Italian sausage.
I love the stuff, but I'm going to try to branch out a little bit this year.
I'm going to have to see what I can come up with that's different.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
With the Super Bowl coming up (if it truly happens this year), it's a great time for a bump for dips.
I always go back to Velveeta, Ro-tel, and browned Italian sausage.
I love the stuff, but I'm going to try to branch out a little bit this year.
I'm going to have to see what I can come up with that's different.
Can you please post the directions for this dip? Thank you in advance.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
You just brown Italian sausage, drain, and blot it really well. Mix it with Velveeta, some Rotel, and heat until melted. For Super Bowl, it's easy to do in the crock pot, and then you can just keep it warm.

Since I posted that, I've looked at some Southern Living recipes. I think I'm going to try this, Creamy Southwest Black-eyed Pea Dip:

"This cheesy appetizer will be the talk of any game day gathering. We took the ingredients in Texas caviar (a classic chilled Southern dip made with black-eyed peas) and turned them into a warm and gooey multi-layered dip topped with diced tomatoes, zesty cilantro, and spicy jalapeños.

Best of all, Creamy Southwest Black-Eyed Pea Dip can be made in advance. Prepare the dip through Step 2 (omit preheating the oven) and chill the dish, covered, overnight. Let the dip stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking and add 10 minutes to the covered bake time.

Top the dip as directed in Step 4. Serve with cold beer and plenty of your favorite tortilla or pita chips for dipping. Before you know it, this dip will become your new signature dish for game day parties or any get-together with family and friends!"

Didn't copy the whole recipe. I'll get it and post it later.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
You just brown Italian sausage, drain, and blot it really well. Mix it with Velveeta, some Rotel, and heat until melted. For Super Bowl, it's easy to do in the crock pot, and then you can just keep it warm.

Since I posted that, I've looked at some Southern Living recipes. I think I'm going to try this, Creamy Southwest Black-eyed Pea Dip:

"This cheesy appetizer will be the talk of any game day gathering. We took the ingredients in Texas caviar (a classic chilled Southern dip made with black-eyed peas) and turned them into a warm and gooey multi-layered dip topped with diced tomatoes, zesty cilantro, and spicy jalapeños.

Best of all, Creamy Southwest Black-Eyed Pea Dip can be made in advance. Prepare the dip through Step 2 (omit preheating the oven) and chill the dish, covered, overnight. Let the dip stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking and add 10 minutes to the covered bake time.

Top the dip as directed in Step 4. Serve with cold beer and plenty of your favorite tortilla or pita chips for dipping. Before you know it, this dip will become your new signature dish for game day parties or any get-together with family and friends!"

Didn't copy the whole recipe. I'll get it and post it later.
Thank you. I'd love the recipe.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I don't know how picky Southern Living is about people copying their stuff, so just a link: