Jackfruit Tacos - Delish!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Johnny West posted about this vegetarian dish and I was intrigued, dying to try it.

WOW!

Embryodad - this recipe is for you!

The jackfruit has the texture of hearts of palm, a little tiny bit like chicken. Not much flavor on its own.

But this recipe was the BOMB!! I absolutely loved it! Perfect seasoning blend, perfect heat!

I made half the recipe, made my own pico de gaillo as a topping, along with reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese. On toasted low carb tortilla.

Low carb, low fat, meatless meal never tasted so great, LOL!

I'm saving this one for a Lenten Friday!

Lee

Easy Vegan Jackfruit Tacos
https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/easy-vegan-jackfruit-tacos/

Takes just 25 minutes to whip up for a perfect weeknight meal. So delicious even meat eaters will love this!

Course: Main Course
Cuisine: Mexican
Servings: 8 tacos
Calories: 208 kcal
Author: Sam Turnbull • It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken

Ingredients
For the jackfruit:

• 2 20oz cans green jackfruit in water or brine , drained, rinsed, and chopped (see instructions)
  • 1 tablespoon light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
  • 1 yellow onion , sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic , minced
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
  • 1 tablespoon agave
  • 1/2 lime , juiced
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

For the tacos:

• 8 taco shells , hard or soft (gluten-free if preferred)
  • 1 avocado , sliced
  • 1/4 red onion , thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup cilantro , roughly chopped
  • lime wedges

Instructions
To chop the jackfruit:

1. For optimal texture, cut the jackfruit into thin slices from core to the outer edge as seen in the pictures above in this post. This breaks up the tougher core as much as possible and makes for the best shredded texture. Do NOT discard the core or seeds, they are totally edible, and you are just wasting precious jackfruit!

To make the shredded jackfruit:

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions have softened and begin to brown.

2. Add the chopped jackfruit, broth, agave, lime juice and all the spices to the pot and cover. Reduce heat and let it simmer until the jackfruit softens slightly, and about 1/2 of the liquid is absorbed. About 5 minutes.

3. Now take a potato masher, and smash all the jackfruit up to get that shredded texture. If you find it a bit wet, just cook a little longer. If you find it a little dry, just add a splash more vegetable broth.

To assemble the tacos:

1. Warm the taco shells according to the package directions. When warmed, add a scoop of the jackfruit, and top with an avocado slice, a couple red onion slices, some cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice. Or you can top with whatever your favourite taco toppings are! I also love a squeeze of hot sauce.

IMG_4640.JPG
IMG_4641.JPG
IMG_4645.JPG
IMG_4646.JPG

Last edited: