Venison Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was looking up another Andrew Zimmern recipe and saw this on his website.

Thought of Johnny West's love of wild game and Embryodad's quest for lean, low-carb recipes.

This looks good to this Polish gal, though I'd add rehydrated wild dried mushrooms to the mixture for a little flavor and texture.

Lee

https://andrewzimmern.com/2018/10/01/venison-stuffed-cabbage-rolls-nevada-berg/

Venison Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Ingredient List

• 1 3/4 pounds (800 g) ground venison
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) milk
  • 1 large leafy green cabbage, such as savoy or summer cabbage
  • 2 tablespoons lightly salted butter, cut into pieces

Instructions

In a food processor, combine the venison and salt and pulse for 1 minute. Add the egg, garlic, cornstarch, pepper, nutmeg, and thyme and pulse until well blended. While the machine is running, gradually add the milk and process until a smooth paste forms. Set aside.

Fill a large bowl with ice water and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

Carefully pull 12 leaves from the cabbage, keeping the leaves intact. Using tongs, carefully plunge the cabbage into the boiling water, 1 leaf at a time, and blanch for about 30 seconds then immediately plunge into the bowl of ice water. Drain the cabbage. Measure 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the cabbage boiling water and reserve for later use; discard the rest.

Preheat the oven to 425°F / 220°C.

Place 2 large spoonfuls of the meat mixture in the center of 1 cabbage leaf then fold both sides of the cabbage leaf over the meat. Roll the bottom of the leaf up to form a rolled bundle then place, seam-side down, in a 7 x 11-inch (18 x 28 cm), or similar, baking dish. Continue making cabbage rolls with the remaining meat and cabbage and arrange, side by side, in 2 rows, in the baking dish. Pour the reserved cabbage boiling water over the cabbage rolls and top with a couple pieces of butter. Cover with foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.

Serve the cabbage rolls with the juices from the pan.

Attachments

• Nevada-Bergs-Venison-Cabbage-Rolls-865x865.jpg
    Nevada-Bergs-Venison-Cabbage-Rolls-865x865.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 933

Johnny West

That looks good - with that said if I had venison it would go on the grill. I've not had it in a long, long time.