Veal Piccata

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was just thinking that I was getting into a culinary rut, when I saw veal on sale. I bought two packages of very thinly sliced "Veal Leg". I didn't have to flatten them at all.

I love picatta, so looked up recipes for it, all pretty much the same. Ann Burrell's had great reviews so I went with it. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/veal-piccata-3645929

The flavors were delicious, but my slices were tougher to cut than the veal I know and love. Ann calls for "top or bottom round" scallops, so I guess my leg slices are different?

I'd make it again, with a different cut of veal.

Served with whole grain linguine and steamed broccoli.

Lee

Veal Piccata – Ann Burrell
Ingredients

• 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 veal scallops, about 3/4 pound, pounded to a thickness of 1/8-inch
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 5 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • 1 lemon, juiced, or more to taste, (about 2 tablespoons)
  • 2 tablespoon capers, drained
  • 1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves, optional, plus sprigs for garnish

Directions
In a shallow bowl or plate combine the flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and pepper and stir to combine thoroughly. Quickly dredge the veal scallops in the seasoned flour mixture, shaking to remove any excess flour.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter and, working quickly and in batches if necessary, cook the veal until golden brown on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Deglaze the pan with wine and bring to a boil, scraping to remove any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. When the wine has reduced by half, add the chicken stock, chopped garlic, lemon juice and capers and cook for 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Whisk in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, remaining 3 1/2 tablespoons of butter and the chopped parsley. When the butter has melted, return the veal scallops to the pan and cook until heated through and the sauce has thickened, about 1 minute. Garnish with parsley sprigs and serve immediately.

Attachments

• veal piccata.JPG
    veal piccata.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 1,096

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Luvs, you think I cooked the cutlets too long and that's why they were tough?

Lee