Char-griller smoker mods

High Cheese

Saucier
You know what? I was looking to do those same mods to mine. Most notably the baffle. There was a guy on DC that explained to me the function of a reverse flow smoker and I've been wanting to do it ever since. I would use a long baffle, extend the stack but relocate the stack to the right side of the cooking chamber to force the airflow across the cooking grate. The Chargrillers are pretty good grills, but you get a HUGE difference in temps from one end to the other. I have to keep rotating meat for it to cook evenly.

I just flipped the grate in the SFB on mine. Works good and clears the tray, but the metal itself gets all warped.

Thanks for the link.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
This is seriously not what I thought it was....for a minute there I thought the Mods were in trouble....

High Cheese

Saucier
I don't know why I was thinking about my smoker at 4am but....

In the video he says you can use the charcoal tray upside down as a baffle. To use that long tray as a baffle you would need to move the stack to the right side of the lid or the smoke and alot of the heat will travel through the baffle, up and right out of the stack. Espescially since he extended the stack so it's lower. Basically the same idea of the reverse flow smoker but incorrect.

One of the, if not THE, best mod is to put a REAL thermometer on it.

BBQ005.jpg

FooD

Ooooo....thermometers!

Here's FooD's thermometer he replaced on his Bar-B-Chef charcoal grill. That stock square thermometer was a total POS.

TempGauge.jpg

GrillinFool

Here is what I did with my Grill. And all it cost me were some disposable tin trays:

Augmentation+to+my+smoker.JPG

Coming from the firebox is 4 inch sided tin tray that I cut to force the smoke down along the bottom of the cooking chamber. Along the bottom of the cooking chamber are two tin cookie sheets that I poked holes in with a sharp knife so that the smoke travels under them and up evenly over the meat.

The baffle shields the chamber from that direct heat that raises the temp of the right side about 100 degrees compared to the left. The cookie sheets distribute the smoke evenly throughout the chamber.

When it warms up and I break out the smoker again I will take better pictures of the process of making the mods....