SOS

LADawg

Back in the late 1950’s,when I was in the army, we were served for breakfast a stick to your ribs dish that the army called Creamed Chipped Beef Over Toast. The troops had another name for it, but most of us just called it SOS. Lots of guys would not eat it, but that was O.K. because it just left more for the rest of us.
Now, fast forward 20 or so years and I got to thinking about SOS. I made up a recipe but I used ground beef and added chopped up boiled eggs to the dish. Most of the time we eat this as an evening meal. Along with being very tasty it will let you go to bed with a full tummy.

CEAMED BEEF with EGGS, aka SOS
1/2 Pound Ground Beef, lean
2 Eggs, hard boiled, peeled and cut into small pieces
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoon Flour
1 1/2 Cups Milk

Salt and fresh ground Black Pepper to Taste
Sauté the Ground Beef in a small skillet for about 4 or 5 minutes or until it is done. Melt the Butter in a medium sized sauce pan. and stir in the Flour. Blend together real good, and cook, over medium heat, while stirring, for 2 minutes making a light colored roux. Whisk in the Milk making a medium thick white sauce. Stir in the Ground Beef and the Eggs. Add the Salt and Black Pepper to taste. Serve over toast or a hot biscuit.

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'm have real brain issues . . .

creamed chipped beef aka SOS is a classic -

but isn't there a "common name" for the ground beef version as well....?
dang seems I knew that once......

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my Dad used burger; i read/knew tho, that initially, chipped beef was used during war.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I loved SOS when I was in the Air Force back in '69-'73. I would have the cook make me a plate size pancake, ladel SOS on the pancake and top it with two over easy eggs. Then I would chop it all up and savor every delicious bite.

Lefty

Yank
SOS, OMG, I are it every time they served it on my ship. Put down the toast, drop some over easy eggs on the toast and slather with burger sauce. Side of hash browns and a big glass of milk.

I wouldn't even get a snack or anything until lunch. I would just not be hungry.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We use patty type breakfast sausage here, the wife loves it but I can take it or leave it. But never tried it with hard boiled eggs as we serve it over a biscuits here and perhaps up, over easy or scrambled eggs if wanted. Most of the time just it will do it.