Hey!!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I can't tell you how much I miss having the opportunity to read, muse, post; like I used to. Now, when I do have computer time, I'm checking reviews on Urbanspoon, Yelp, Trip advisor. I check Chowhound to see if anyone metioned the restaurant. I'm constantly updating advertising, posting menu specials on facebook. When I do have time to come here, I feel like I'm a stranger with nothing new to add other than we're busy busy busy.
Business was phenomonal since the holidays. Mardi Gras was a huge success. The festivals just keep coming. We've gotten so many great reviews that we have become a bit of a destination. What we did in a year and half has lots of people amazed, including me.
I am constantly suffering staffing problems. I don't know if it's the work ethic here, or some other thing I just don't get. In the 18 months we've been open I've had close to 30 people on the payroll...and I never have more than a staff of 6! People come and go down here like it's a revolving door. The training is exhausting when you have to do it over and over again. Every time I think we've got a good staff, someone just stops showing up. Don't know what to make of it.
We changed from counter service to table service about 8 weeks ago. All my cashiers had been servers in previous positions, so the transition was easy for them. It was scary as shit for me. I was very comfortable with the way things were running but believed for good growth, we had to be a real restaurant, with waitstaff. It's been a huge success. They're making great tips, too.
The lines have been growing, too. We have a line almost every weekend, and this past week, we even had a line a lunch time. It's because of the lines that we took some of our ill gotten Mardi Gras money and ordered 4 more tables and 14 chairs for additional seating. We moved some of the dining room equipment into the kitchen to make room. These changes made sense once we stopped the counter service.
We've got Essence Festival the weekend after the 4th of July. After that, there should be a bit of a slow down. I'm doing a cooking demo for the Southern Museum of Food and Beverage this sunday for the Creole Tomato Festival (see, another festival!) I'm making my summer pasta. If I can remember, I'll post the recipe.
Then, with more ill gotten mardi gras money, Lou and I are going to California in August. Three days in San Francisco, 2 days in Napa and 2 days in Sonoma. I'm closing for 10 days so Lou and I can take a vacation. We haven't done that in almost three years.
I love you, NCT....you were with me when I moved, when I got this space, when I built out the restaurant....and I feel like I left you in the dust. Buzz, John...I loved when you came here. Don't forget me, friends. I think of you all the time.
xoxoxo

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
VB, you have absolutely NOTHING to apologize for!

I am so extremely happy for your success!! I hope your dreams continue to grow and that you continue to live them!

Good to see you, friend!

Lee

K

Kimchee

Time for one of your employees to nominate your restaurant for
Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives! :)

Then we could all watch and drool.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Good to hear from you Vera and very glad the Red Gravy is doing well. I've kind of followed the menu and rating from afar, the web.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
hi, vera. congrats!~ great job. i see you working the menu in various ways. you've established yourself well & passed a major benchmark already. have the best (well-earned) vaca & spend it well!:drink2:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
You are doing really well and its fantastic to see the success you have made with your hard work.
I love following your specials on Facebook, occasionally drooling and, if I ever make it to the States, your restaurant is on my list of destinations.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
I understand, 110% Vera, hell I don't hardly ever get to post(for other reasons), but seems like you are doing GREAT down there!

I look forward to coming down there next year, and hitting you up in person!

Congrats on your success!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for all the nice words!
More from the 'you cannot make this up' file.... I used to make a really great three course dinner every saturday evening for Lou and myself. Now, we usually eat out since we're open again on sunday. We went to a great seafood place last night - Charlie's Seafood House - and were just finishing up soft shell crab and shrimp etouffe, about to dive into a slice of warm pecan pie when the hostess and a cop approached us. They asked if the black nissan altima was ours. Bad way to end an evening, if you ask me. Apparently, someone backed into the car and then fled the scene, leaving me with a nice big dent in the back bumper. Fortunately, someone witnessed it and the license plate number was obtained. Still....guess what I get to do now in my spare time? That's right, get the bumper fixed. Wonderful.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Bummer on the car deal, that's so rude to just bang into someone's car and flee :(.

Congratulations on your well-earned success!