Question about Greens

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I don't know a whole lot about greens. I have tried collard greens and kale and like them very much but they are a bit strong.

Is there another green out there that is a little bit sweeter or milder in flavor that you can recommend? Getting tired of spinach, lol

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know a whole lot about greens. I have tried collard greens and kale and like them very much but they are a bit strong.

Is there another green out there that is a little bit sweeter or milder in flavor that you can recommend? Getting tired of spinach, lol

Try beet greens, steamed with a little bacon salt. Mmmmmm mmmmmm.....

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You'd probably like swiss chard. It's a mild green, very similar to spinach with a slightly sweet taste.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm with Buzz on the beet greens, but they are hard to find around here without the beet attached. I like beets, too, but I LOVE the greens!

Also agree with VB on the rainbow chard - great!

Lee

vyapti

I echo the chard sentiment. I also love turnip greens. I buy them whenever I can find them (which isn't too often). I've never had beet greens before. Would I have to eat the beets too???

Phiddlechik

chard here, too. I'd be careful with the escarole and dandelion greens, they can have a bite to them, flavor-wise. They might be tender, but their flavor can be strong.

Leni

Beet greens or swiss chard with butter and Seasoned rice wine vinegar. I also like them with a smoked ham hock and onions. Cook these long and slow without a lid on so that they stay that beautiful green.

loboloco

Around here we winter grow a mix of turnips, broadleaf, purpletop, a couple of others, and mixed with a mustard green. I like this better than I do straight turnip.
Beet greens, collards and such I use for cow feed.

leolady

Around here we winter grow a mix of turnips, broadleaf, purpletop, a couple of others, and mixed with a mustard green. I like this better than I do straight turnip.
Beet greens, collards and such I use for cow feed.

:dizzy:Lucky cows!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
HECK NO! I wouldn't eat beet greens if I had to eat the beets.....

Chicken. :yum: Boil the beets for about 40 minutes, cool, skin, slice, and stick 'em in the fridge. Eat them for luncheon snacks and tell your friends the dark red tongue is from an expensive Cabernet Sauvignon.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
back to the OP, RM-- I could never tire of spinach.
It's really the only thing off the greens list I eat.

As for beets.. omg.. cold out of the jar or hot and buttered. yeah baby!

loboloco

back to the OP, RM-- I could never tire of spinach.
It's really the only thing off the greens list I eat.

As for beets.. omg.. cold out of the jar or hot and buttered. yeah baby!
You need to try turnip greens with a little bit of pepper vinegar sauce. Food of the gods.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
May I say, Bite me? :yum:
UMMMMMMMMMMMMM
bag.gif
Where?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Turnip Greens with a little fat back cooked in, homemade cornbread(sweet for me). Black-eyed peas or crowder peas. Sweet tea. Kind of meal they serve in heaven:heart::heart::kiss:
The very mention of sweet cornbread AND tea is gonna make you loved around here.
Where's Mama? :D