Tenderizing Meat

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I was looking in on the cooking blog I belong to and there seems to be a question about to tenderize or not.:shock:
Some say if the cut is cheap, don't even bother.. just stew it.
Others are suggesting anything from using several forks to tenderize AFTER using a commercial store bought one shaken on. I guess the whole idea is to break down the fibers.
This is nuts, but my Grandmother used to use the edge of a can of peas, carrots, whatever, and whack it across the meat after sprinkling it with Adolph's meat tenderizer, and HER cheap cuts of meat always came out good.
'Course, not every cook is or was a down home southern Indiana lady who was a master in her kitchen.
:wub:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Stew it....braise it. Yes, that is a way to do tough cuts. But not the only way. Anyone that says so is limiting their palate and canvas. Salt isn't the only spice, and naturally we are open to more.

Everyone should be open to other ways of cooking tough cuts to tender goodness.

Braising is good. Low and slow is good (smoker or oven). Tenderizing marinades are good. Beating your meat to make it tender is good. A combination of techniques is good.

There's a big difference between Beef Stew and Beef Cube Steaks or Country Fried Steak!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Stew it....braise it. Yes, that is a way to do tough cuts. But not the only way. Anyone that says so is limiting their palate and canvas. Salt isn't the only spice, and naturally we are open to more.

Everyone should be open to other ways of cooking tough cuts to tender goodness.

Braising is good. Low and slow is good (smoker or oven). Tenderizing marinades are good. Beating your meat to make it tender is good. A combination of techniques is good.

There's a big difference between Beef Stew and Beef Cube Steaks or Country Fried Steak!

Thanks Keltin, for the ammo :yum::thumb:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
When we get a hankering for chicken fried steak, I have to dig out my hammer with the meat tenderizer thingy on it...can't buy "cube" steaks here. Works great to break down the connective tissue. Chowdah, that's a good article on marinades. I have an old recipe for pork cooked in milk - I haven't made it for a long time, but it does turn out incredibly tender. May have to take another look at it.

High Cheese

Saucier
+1 on low and slow. Reverse sear or cut against the grain. Sometimes we get chuck steaks which are 1/2 the price of strip steaks with more flavor. There's some gristle that you have to cut around though.