Curry recipes?

smoke king

Banned
I like the spicy food, and lately I've been curious about Indian cooking, particularly the different types of currys.

I've never attempted any of these dishes, but a google search turned up a lot of different ways to make it. Some used Habaneros, some used Birds-eye peppers, some use curry paste, others curry powder etc.

What I'd like is an authentic recipe to start off with, and then tweak it from there. I saw a guy eating "Phall" curry on TV, and apparently, you have to wear a gas mask when cooking it........sounds good to me-I just so happen to have one!! What spices need to be in the pantry for these dishes?

Any tips, recipes, warnings etc would be appreciated!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Lots of ground chillies like scotch bonnet or habanero. Typically, the dish includes ginger and fennel seeds from what I read.

I know for a fact that phaal will blow up tastebuds. Its HOT!!! :shock:

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Next to Bhut Jolokia chili from India the Scotch Bonnet/Habanera is nothing but don't recommend any of them for human consumption in large amounts. My guess is a good Curry powder to start, as well as Ghee (butter). Not all food from India is hot though much of it is and for the most part pretty good stuff.

Deadly Sushi

JoeC, what do you feel is IN a good curry powder? Turmuric as a base (and BTW turmuric is EXCELLENT for blood flow, headaches, arthritis and heart function!!!!!) but what else? I like to custom whip them up as rubs. I also buy plain yogurt and mix my curry in and use it as a dip or to complement something else.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I make my own just like all the spice blends I use. Here is what I mix up:

Curry Powder

3/4 cup coriander seeds
3/4 cup mustard seeds
1/4 cup fennel seeds
2 tablespoons celery seeds
2 tablespoons ground mace
2 tablespoons ground turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes ( also use dried habineros or Bhut Jolokia chili if I have on hand.)
1 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
15 coins dried ginger
3 cloves dried garlic

Position rack in lower third of the oven. Preheat to 300 deg. F. Combine coriander, mustard, cumin, fennel, celery, mace, turmeric and cloves in 11 x 8 x 2 glass baking dish. Stir thoroughly. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool completely. Stir in the red peeper flakes, dried ginger and dried garlic. Working in small batches, bring mixture finely in a spice mill, coffee grinder, mini food processor, or blender (mixture ground in a blender will not have as fine a texture). Divide evenly among jars. Seal tightly. Keeps fresh for up to 6 months.

Makes 5 4-ounce jars.

Deadly Sushi

You bake yours to get that earthy smokey flavor out!! I dont do that man.... and I SHOULD !!!! Youve inspired me sir :tiphat:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I sometime when I plan ahead for it and I'm doing some smoking out side I actually do it in the smoker too. I also have a Cameron Multi Roster that also works great as a smoker in the oven or on top of the stove. I use the pellets with that using various blend (for the oven only but work great).

Attachments

• Camerons Multi-Roaster.jpg
    Camerons Multi-Roaster.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 155

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I think curry is gonna be a thing of the past in this house. Seems DH can't handle that either!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm dying to ask what DH means, Sattie. My other half can eat anything I put in front of her especially hot foods. She actually like it hotter than I do which if you knew me is almost unbelievable.

smoke king

Banned
Thanks everyone-pretty good info so far. Looks like I'll need to go to the store for a few items (fresh out of Ginger coins!). Can't wait to try it out.

Got my gas mask hangin' in the kitchen-I'll keep you posted!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I wasn't sure if every one would understand that or not just wanted to protect the innocent. :D