Smoking chilis: help needed.

buckytom

Grill Master
i recently ran out of tastefully simple brand pomegranate chipotle bbq sauce. it's delicious on plain grilled chicken and pork chops, so i looked into getting another bottle online. with shipping and tax, a small 8 oz. bottle would cost $16.50!!!

so, i looked up several pomegranate based sauces, and figured i could add my own mango and chipotles to create my own sauce.
unfortunately, i discovered a small can of cipotles costs around $5. in order to keep the cost down for what i hope will be an equivalent or better sauce than tastefully simple's, i decided i would smoke my own peppers and give them a try.

i'm still taking in loads of hot peppers (hungarian hot wax, thai bird, hot cherry, and cayenne), so i was wondering if anyone had experience smoking various types of peppers?

how long, how hot, what types of wood are best?

tia.

if this works out, i'll take pics and post a recipe. believe me, this is a great sauce on otherwise boring plian grilled food.

AllenOK

Bucky, I've made my own Chipotles once. I used jalapenos, and smoked them for about 2 hours @ 225 degrees, using a blend of mesquite and oak.

They were frakking delicious!

I love the smoky heat from chipotles, but an not that crazy for the vinegary adobo sauce from the can.

For the best appearances, you want to start with a jalapeno that is red, not green. Flavorwise, I don't think there is a difference between red or green peppers.

I've been meaning to smoke off some poblanos, then dry and grind them. I haven't tried any other pepper through the smoker.

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks for the info allen.

i haven't gotten around to smoking any peppers yet, but i roasted/dried a load of cayenne and thai bird chilis today to preserve them. the house smelled great!

i hopfully will be smoking some hungarian hot wax and more cayennes later this week.

Phiddlechik

I've just roasted chilies... but I do find a difference in taste between a red and green jalapeno. As in bell peppers, the red has a certain sweetness to it. Sometimes the heat in jalapenos may override that sweet edge (as opposed to the sharper, "green" taste), as well as added flavor from the smoke.

K

Kimchee

Don't forget to save the seeds!
They don't smoke well anyway!
;) ;) ;)

K

Kimchee

Yeah, I always wondered why pot smokers didn't save their seeds, and just plant them all over, kind of like Johnny Appleseed.
Then it would propagate, spread like the weed it is, and be almost impossible to eradicate, forcing the government to legalize it! ;) ;)

(In Kansas, the hemp variety DOES grow wild in spots. At the right time of year, its
quite a sight. The hemp plant was harvested for its oil during WWII.)

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Unless he is out searching for EZ widers or a bong and a grow lamp!! OR MAYBE he forgot where he posted this thread and is satisfying his munchies with some cheese doodles!! :whistling::yum:

OH WAIT!! I just looked at his avi!! LOOK AT THE BLUNT HES FIRING UP!! Don't doobie bucky pass it around!!

buckytom

Grill Master
lol you guys!!!!

i'm not a bogart. here you go, peeps.

:mrgreen:

actually, i just watched severe thunderstorm roll through. pretty neat!

who's got ice cream????????

attachment.php

ok, back on topic:

I've just roasted chilies... but I do find a difference in taste between a red and green jalapeno. As in bell peppers, the red has a certain sweetness to it. Sometimes the heat in jalapenos may override that sweet edge (as opposed to the sharper, "green" taste), as well as added flavor from the smoke.

i agree completely having experienced the same thing with fresh red and green jalapenos.

all of my peppers are on the hotter side this year, i guess due to the hot weather. even the green bells have a slight peppery kick to them.

AllenOK

Bucky, did you grow your peppers close enough together so that they could cross-pollinate? Would the resulting fruit of a jalapeno x cayenne cross-pollination have a different heat level, or would you have to grow the seeds of that crossing into mature plants, and try the fruit of hybrid plant? Does that make sense????

I know that the Scollville rating for one type of pepper will vary from field to field, and sometimes plant to plant within the same field. Have you changed anything in your garden this year? More/less sunlight, different fertilizer, etc? Or has just the hotter weather been the sole factor?

FWIW, I actually know someone that, unknowingly, smoked some crushed red pepper (as the recipient of a practical joke). He about coughed up a lung after the second drag (the first just burned the tobacco that was packed into the end of the cig for camoflauge).

buckytom

Grill Master
that's an interesting question, allen. i don't know if peppers cross pollinate. but yes, they were all planted very close together. it makes it easier to stake them up.

and lol at the loaded cigarette. :applause:nothing says practical joke like watching your buddy cough up blood. :D