Hot and Sour Soup

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Adillo (Andy) I saw your question about a hot and sour soup recipe in Cooksie's Shrimp Wonton Soup thread, so I thought I'd post my recipe separately.

I've been making this recipe for years. I do NOT add tofu, but I do add either Chinese dumplings or I serve this soup over Chinese yellow noodles.

It's great, either way!

Scroll down for a photo.

Lee

Hot and Sour Soup

This makes a double batch.

½ cup dried wood ears (crumble before rehydrating)
1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms (crumbled)
1 package sliced, fresh mushrooms
AND 1 can whole straw mushrooms (recent note: I often omit these)
12 cups chicken stock - one 49oz can is just right
1 cup drained, canned bamboo shoots, rinsed and julienned
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with equal parts water
5 large eggs
2 lb Pork loin, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2cup red wine vinegar
6 tablespoons thin (regular) soy sauce plus a pinch of sugar
2 tablespoon thick soy sauce (optional)
8 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch dice (OPTIONAL: tried it once ... never again!)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teas crushed red pepper (recent note: I have since substituted Sambal for this)
finely diced scallions
Chinese noodles or dumplings

In a bowl, cover the wood ears and dried mushrooms with hot water. Microwave on high for 2 minutes and let sit until softened. Drain and thoroughly rinse.

In a large saucepan combine the chicken stock, wood ears, all of the mushrooms, bamboo shoots, ginger and salt. Cover and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Stir in the vinegar and red pepper and boil over moderately high heat for 2 minutes.

Stir the cornstarch and water mixture into the soup in a steady stream.

In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs and stir into the soup. Stir in the soy sauces, pork, (tofu if used) and sesame oil and cook over medium heat until the pork is just poached – maybe 10 minutes.

Serve with cooked Chinese noodles or cooked Chinese dumplings. Place noodles or dumplings in a serving bowl and ladle soup over them. Garnish with green onions.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
great recipe lee!! i have never seen dried wood ear mushrooms around here.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made this earlier in the week. It makes a TON.

Plenty to share with my friend, and saved half for when my Dad comes to stay for Thanksgiving week.

Lee

Attachments

• Hot and Sour soup.JPG
    Hot and Sour soup.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 152