Red Gravy Poached Egg on Grit Cake

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
At the moment I don't have a picture of this. I'll get one this weekend. This is one of my most popular breakfast dishes.

The components of this recipe are Grit Cakes, Poached Eggs, Sausage Red Gravy

You have to start with a simple recipe of regular grits, following the direction on the package. (I make grits every morning and almost always have some left over. This is a perfect way to utilize leftovers) If you are going to make this for 2, 4, 6 etc, people, you have to start with enough grits, again, following the recipe on the package. When the grits are completely cooked, add grated parmesan or romano cheese, chopped fresh parsley and ground black pepper.
Spread the grits into a buttered baking sheet, smoothing out the top. Refrigerate to cool. This will firm the grits into a cake that can then be sliced. This will take about 45 minutes.

While the grits are cooling you can make the sausage red gravy. You'll need 1 italian sausage ,about 1/4 green bell pepper , 1T diced onion and 1/3 C of your best or store bought Red Gravy. Dice the sausage, peppers and onions. Add to the gravy and cook gently for about 25 minutes. Don't let it boil because it will cook down to nothing.

When the grits are firm enough to slice, cut them into squares and remove from the pan. In a large saute pan, melt butter and then gently saute the grit cakes in the butter, browning them on both sides.

Prepare a water bath for poaching eggs. Since I do this all day long on Saturday, I simply poach eggs in a deep saute pan. I can continually toss out the water and start fresh, getting a quick boil from something shallower than a sauce pot. Slip an egg (out of the shell) into simmering water and gently poach. Length of time depends on how well done you prefer the egg. Soft takes a couple of minutes. Hard takes about 4 or 5.

To present the plate, place a grilled grit cake onto the center of the plate. If you cut it into squares, you'll have four points to work with. Try to place one of the points at the top of the plate. Spoon some of the sausage red gravy onto the cake, top point to bottom point. If it seems too thick add a bit of water or wine, but just enough to make it spoonable. Place the poached egg on top of the gravy. Generously sprinkle with cheese and fresh chopped parsley.

I serve this with a slice of garlic bread, but any toast will do.

Ronjohn

Sheila and I both had this while we were down there. It's quite a departure for me from standard breakfast fare but I can safely say it was fantastic. :)