Turkey sandiwiches for a crowd... ???

suziquzie

I plan on roasting 2 turkeys for a party I'm having friday night... DH and I thought we'd sort of shred it and put it in a little broth and serve warm... sort of like pulled turkey..
Has anyone ever done this and what would you add to the broth so its not just boring old turkey??
I'm thinking a little sage....
thoughts?

buckytom

Grill Master
rub one of the toikeys inside and out with grapeseed oil, paprika, garlic powder, and s&p. stuff cavity with a halved onion and a head of garlic.

the other turkey, blend the juice and zest of a lemon, 10 chopped sage leaves, and a stick of butter. massage this compound butter under the breast skin as far forward as you can go, and rub the cavity with the same.

and i would make a thin gravy to keep the shredded meat in.

chowhound

Making things easy, I'd go with that Rachel Ray chicken stock I just tried out. It is very flavorful with thyme, sage, celery and your typical chicken flavorings, which would work well with turkey. I'd put it in a pan, bring it to a boil and add just enough flour to thicken it a little. Or make a butter and flour roux and then add it to the stock. Maybe a little cream, too. Then put the sauce and shredded turkey in your slow cooker.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Making things easy, I'd go with that Rachel Ray chicken stock I just tried out. It is very flavorful with thyme, sage, celery and your typical chicken flavorings, which would work well with turkey. I'd put it in a pan, bring it to a boil and add just enough flour to thicken it a little. Or make a butter and flour roux and then add it to the stock. Maybe a little cream, too. Then put the sauce and shredded turkey in your slow cooker.
whens dinner chow? i like mashed taters!! hmmmmmmmm that sounds a lot like the begining of ala king served over rice.

LOL my fav turkey sammies is thin breast, stuffing, a lot of red leaf lettuce (or a mix of bitter and mild lettuces) on yes white wonder bread with mayo s & p.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
btw all of the ideas sound great. but it depends on if you want the sammies to have a gravy or not. some people like a hot sammies with gravy some like it cold with lettuce, tomato, cheese, mayo etc. if you just add broth that sounds like the makings of a turkey french dip.

i would leave the turkey cold (i think keeping it warm makes it taste reheated and over cooked. have on hand the fixings for cold sammies and have a broth au jus to dip or pour over french bread and a thicker gravy for hot sammies (before making the sammies they can dip the turkey in the hot broth or gravy to warm it up a bit, have a slotted spoon and an unslotted spoon for each). that way everyone will be happy.

pugger

Make some cranberry sauce, preferably from the whole cranberries, to have on hand. I always like adding that to the turkey sandwich leftovers at Thanksgiving. :clap:

chowhound

After reading this thread, I went into the house and made a couple chicken sandwiches with lettuce, mayo and s & p. On plain old white bread.
I've got to remember to buy the big chickens all the time. I love having leftovers.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
After reading this thread, I went into the house and made a couple chicken sandwiches with lettuce, mayo and s & p. On plain old white bread.
I've got to remember to buy the big chickens all the time. I love having leftovers.
LOL all your missing is stuffing!! so good on plain wonder white bread no tomato just lettuce and mayo and s&p!!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Make some cranberry sauce, preferably from the whole cranberries, to have on hand. I always like adding that to the turkey sandwich leftovers at Thanksgiving. :clap:

Cranberry/Tangerine Relish (Uncooked)

1 bag fresh cranberries
2 Tangerines and/or oranges - washed good - cut small rind included (do not peel)
Pecans - to taste
1 cup sugar and/or honey - to taste

Put all ingredients except sugar in food processor and grind till you have medium chunks (not to small). Put in container and add sugar. Let sit in refrigerator 1 or 2 days before using to allow flavors to meld.

This is an uncooked relish.

Serve with poultry or pork.

suziquzie

Cold isn't really an option.... thanks for the gravy idea that sounds much better than plain broth.
YAY!!! GRAVY!!!!!!
:)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Cold isn't really an option.... thanks for the gravy idea that sounds much better than plain broth.
YAY!!! GRAVY!!!!!!
no cold sammies? hmmmmmmmmmm ok then LOL when i worked at the deli we sold 4X more cold turkey sammies than hot.

homecook

YAY!!! GRAVY!!!!!!

I like the gravy idea also.......you don't want to be giving too many choices. It's too much work. And who doesn't love GRAVY!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

pugger

cranberry sauce or relish will melt like butter (pronounce "buttah" for proper effect) on that hot turkey. Everyone will be all perklept :wink: