Farmer's market visit

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We went to this huge farmer's market in a city south of where we live. There are a lot of junk stalls, various ethnic clothing/other stuff, spice/tea stalls, plus a fresh fish stall, heritage pig/cow/goat cooperative stall that has gorgeous meat, lots of fruit/vege purveyors, restaurants, pretty much anything you could want. There are close to 400.vendors.

We came home with:
The salts are himalayan pink salt and black truffled sea salt. I nearly died and went to heaven when he opened the bag of the truffled salt.

Attachments

• 2019-01-12 17.30.06.jpg
    2019-01-12 17.30.06.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 2019-01-12 14.05.22.jpg
    2019-01-12 14.05.22.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 2019-01-12 14.04.58.jpg
    2019-01-12 14.04.58.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 2019-01-12 14.04.28.jpg
    2019-01-12 14.04.28.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 178

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Oxtail and pork tenderloin from a Berkshire pig.

Multicolored carrots with tops, baby eggplants and some kind of tomatoes we've never seen before.

Red spring onions actually and yellow and, in real life, nearly black tipped oyster mushrooms.

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the tomatoes look to be an assortment of heirloom globes - Black Cherokee, et al.

I keep badgering our local butchers to carry Berkshire/(old breeds) - there is a farm about 30 miles west that raises them but they only sell wholesale - I need a whole hog like I need a hole . . .

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
They are only 2 to 2-1/2 inch in diameter at most though, maybe black cherry?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've bought those different coloured cherry tomatoes before at the supermarket.
Mine had yellow, orange, red and a dark purple.
They came in a domed bowl that was difficult to open, they were pricey too.

You're very lucky med to have those delicious, fresh things so readily available.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
You should have seen what you would call the exotics. They actually had ripe star fruit, which is a rare find in the grocery even for us, golden yellow with very, very little to no green, jackfruits, longan berries, cactus app!es, guava, sapote, rambutan, etc, etc.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I've bought those different coloured cherry tomatoes before at the supermarket.
Mine had yellow, orange, red and a dark purple.
They came in a domed bowl that was difficult to open, they were pricey too.

You're very lucky med to have those delicious, fresh things so readily available.

We are well into our growing season here so there were lots of veges actually grown here this time. Once it gets hot again, we'll be getting the leafy greens, lettuce, tomatoes, etc from up north because it gets too hot here for them come April or so.

Ira

Farmer's markets are the best! Nothing compared to a supermarket. I always find fresh products and meat tastes awesome. Congragulations on the truffled salt, it's pretty rare find. :)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for bumping this up, Ira - I had not seen it first time around!

Med, those are such great choices and wonderful photos!

Lee