Canning and curing?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, cga, I've done a little canning, but am certainly no expert.

I used to make red pepper relish every year for my brother.

And some crabapple jelly (have REALLY annoying crabapple tree in front of my condo) and some jardinière.

Here are photos of the latter two.

I don't have a pressure canner and am leery of canning things other than jelly or things with vinegar.

Do you have advice?

Lee

Crabapple Jelly

Crabapple jelly 2007.JPG

Jardiniere

Jardiniere.JPG

chilefarmer

I can lots of things, using both water bath and pressure canner. Including meat and fish. I also cure my own bacon and make my own sausage. Good stuff. And kinda fun. Yep I have made some things that makes me say, naw, not doing that one again. CF

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I am just getting into it for the first time. I have a 10 qt pressure cooker that will work and 21 quart water caner with all the tools that I recently got from Chef's. As for bottles I have several cases of various sizes and enough new tops to do them all 3 times over.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I did full butchering for years and made sauasage and cured my own hams and bacons as well as deer and beef jerky. Canned a lot but with just 2 of us we have shifted more to freezing since we got the vac sealer. The heavy work is almost too much for me and she throws a fit so I have a local butcher that does my beef and hogs now. If my buddy down in Pa. does hogs I still go down and help him. The sausage we make is the best and I love it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I did full butchering for years and made sauasage and cured my own hams and bacons as well as deer and beef jerky. Canned a lot but with just 2 of us we have shifted more to freezing since we got the vac sealer. The heavy work is almost too much for me and she throws a fit so I have a local butcher that does my beef and hogs now. If my buddy down in Pa. does hogs I still go down and help him. The sausage we make is the best and I love it.

I've been buying full beef and pigs for a few years now and butchering it myself. We have a large box freezer but have never caned before now. I will start with some vegetables and jams to start but do plan on doing some meats down the road a bit. As for venison I have hunted in over 45 years but am planing on doing some this season since I now have semi retired and have some time. I also have killed a few pigs but again it has been decades and really not real common here. I wished sometimes I had kept it up in my younger years but life often doesn't work out the way we want.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I've been curing my own guanicale for the restaurant for about 6 months now.

Once you can find pork jowls, it's not at all that difficult.

I also can all the jams for the restaurant in addition to the red gravy and pickles.

Just made mostarda this past week.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Great news at the butcher shop! They had just finished packing my order of 1/2 of the Tioga county champion hog from the fair. Man does it look great. I picked up an extra 10lb. of loose sage sausage but had to wait while it was ground. They sell out as fast as they can make it. Just got done loading it all in the pork freezer which has too many veggies from last year in it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am just getting into it for the first time. I have a 10 qt pressure cooker that will work and 21 quart water caner with all the tools that I recently got from Chef's. As for bottles I have several cases of various sizes and enough new tops to do them all 3 times over.

Joe, how are you liking the pressure canner? Is it easy to use?

I'm a little afraid of pressure cookers.

Lee

cgaengineer

I canned 14 qts and 10 pints of brunswick stew last weekend. I love my AA canner!

Here is a picture of my AA921 which is a 21 qt canner with a batch of stew inside.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377353303914.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377353303914.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 104

cgaengineer

I've been buying full beef and pigs for a few years now and butchering it myself. We have a large box freezer but have never caned before now. I will start with some vegetables and jams to start but do plan on doing some meats down the road a bit. As for venison I have hunted in over 45 years but am planing on doing some this season since I now have semi retired and have some time. I also have killed a few pigs but again it has been decades and really not real common here. I wished sometimes I had kept it up in my younger years but life often doesn't work out the way we want.

Meats are pretty easy...around here canned chicken and beef cubes are a favorite. Some may question why would you want to can beef or chicken instead of simply freezing, well I can go from no meal to a hearty meal with canned chicken or beef in the time it would take you to open the freezer and while your meat is thawing I am eating!

cgaengineer

Joe, how are you liking the pressure canner? Is it easy to use?

I'm a little afraid of pressure cookers.

Lee

They are safe and damn nearly fool proof, a check valve thatallows steam to escape, a rubber plug for over pressure and a pressure guage. If you can blow one up with all that you are for sure doing it wrong!