Lazy Golumpki (Stuffed Cabbage Saute)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I adapted this (as I always do) and it was DELICIOUS! Just looking at the photo of last night's dinner is making my mouth water! It's a one pot, maybe 2 pot, stovetop dinner - a keeper! :clap:

The next time I will add some rehydrated dried porcinis to complete the flavors of my Aunt Stella's golumpki.

4 points plus per generous serving!

Lee

Lazy Golumpki

1 lb. ground pork (or ground beef or ground turkey)
1 small head of cabbage, cored and chopped
1 28 oz. can of whole tomatoes, drained and squished (or buy diced tomatoes)
1 large onion, chopped
1 16 oz. bag sauerkraut, drained
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice (oh, go ahead and use white, if you want!)
4 cloves garlic, minced
drizzle of olive oil
dill, dried or fresh if you have it
garlic powder
Salt and pepper

Cook rice according to directions. Set aside.

Bring a large pot of water to boiling - add cabbage and cook 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Heat up the same pot, drizzle a little olive oil in it, and cook onions and garlic about 2 minutes over medium high heat. Add in ground meat and cook until meat is browned.

Stir in tomatoes, sauerkraut, and vinegar. Lower heat to medium and let simmer about 10 minutes.

Add in rice and cabbage and mix. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and dill to taste. Heat through, about 5 minutes.

Attachments

• Lazy Golumpki.JPG
    Lazy Golumpki.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 960

Johnny West

A friend of mine's DIL is from Romania and this is basically the way she does it. I did it for the family last year and they were pleased, even made a vegitarian version for Peter which he liked.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
.... even made a vegitarian version for Peter which he liked.

Oh, absolutely! Substitute noodles for the ground meat and you have a form of haluski!

Can't wait to try adding dried mushrooms to this - wish I'd thought of it earlier.

Lee