Karma question...

Biskit

I usually do. I appreciate the fact that someone appreciated my thoughts on a given subject. I think it's important to acknowledge someone when they take time to give karma.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Most of the forums that I visit don't have karma so I'm bad about not checking it so most of the time I don't even realize that someone gave me karma. I apologize if I seem rude but it's not intentional.

Lefty

Yank
Not as often as I should. I guess I take it for granted. Speaking of which I haven't given any out in a while. Time to get busy.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Quite honestly it may sound rude but I don't think "Thank yous" are required from a friend. I don't expect to be thanked every time I tell a friend I like what they have said/done. I also don't always check my reps and appogized if I have offended anyone.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
For those that said 'usually', what's the determining factor?

You're right, Sass, it is appreciated! I've never been a huge fan of the whole karma thing, but I like to use it, nevertheless. If nothing else, it's a meter for your own private enjoyment; a meter that other people can cause to jump.

Peeps, I'm surprised to see your response. You mentioned that no thanks is required between friends. Sometimes, that karma can come from a newer poster, not quite a friend yet, yes? I'm also curious because you will publicly thank people who have appreciated a particular plate of yours. What do you see as the difference?

Phiddlechick, karma appears on your user CP page.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
One more thing...I'm not singling anyone out for not thanking another!!!:twak::twak:

Not at all!! Just wondering about the karma machine and the dynamics of cyber relationships.

smoke king

Banned
I usually do-I think if someone takes their time to give it to me then I should at the very least respond in kind. That being said, I often forget to check to see if I've recieved any "new" karma. So apologies if I've forgotten anyone. Its not that I don't appreciate it-I do. But sometimes I'm just lazy....

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
You're right, Sass, it is appreciated! I've never been a huge fan of the whole karma thing, but I like to use it, nevertheless. If nothing else, it's a meter for your own private enjoyment; a meter that other people can cause to jump.
Well, shortly after I first joined here, it was fun keeping track of who were climbing in the karma points, then it seemed sorta silly after a while. That's just my opinion.
Whether getting or giving, I suppose for myself it's just a matter of saying Hey! I liked that, I REALLY liked that, so I prefer to give than to get..and normally I check to see who has given and do thank them, unless I am distracted .. which is rare:lol:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
would it matter to you if the feature was suddenly eliminated?

Do you feel obligated to return karma to someone who has given it to you?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Like others who have responded, I do send "thanks" , but sometimes I just forget to check it. When I do, I am always pleasantly surprised! It's a very nice extra effort for someone to make, and I always appreciate it.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I don't think it matters on a forum at all, but it's a fun feature I suppose.
There are people I have given karma to on both this and other forums who have never given it at all.
Dunno. Didn't even know what 'those green dots' meant when I first joined FF.
Wouldn't bother me in the least if they were eliminated. Shooting someone a PM to thank them for something is just as good.

smoke king

Banned
I guess it wouldn't matter if it were eliminated, but I do think its a nice, and fun way to give someone an "attaboy", and its always nice to get it!!

Personally, I don't give karma for karma-IMHO, that would defeat the purpose...

Lefty

Yank
I guess it wouldn't matter if it were eliminated, but I do think its a nice, and fun way to give someone an "attaboy", and its always nice to get it!!

Personally, I don't give karma for karma-IMHO, that would defeat the purpose...

This I agree with. You say something really funny, do something very kind, come up with a great idea... I will give it out. I don't expect a thank you or to be given it back.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
It wouldn't matter to me if it was eliminated either. Like Sass, I learned about reputation on this forum. The "other" forum has it but I never knew anything about it and only discovered it here. It was fun at first to watch people climb the ladder but it kind of lost it's meaning for me when some people started asking for karma so I lost interest in it.

When I do remember to check it, it is nice to see that people appreciate my posts.

If I understand Peeps correctly, I think she sees the difference being thanking people in public for something that was said in public as opposed to thanking a friend for sending you a complimentary note in private.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
One more thing...I'm not singling anyone out for not thanking another!!!:twak::twak:

Not at all!! Just wondering about the karma machine and the dynamics of cyber relationships.
I guess the simple answer Vera is that reps are private I don't always check reps. When I do check I do thank people especially new posters. I give reps but I don't expect to be thanked. I appreciate receiving reps but I don't always thank people because I don't always see them.

I check the threads for new posts (I love the pics the best and to get ideas for dishes) and if someone has complimented me I thank them. But I don't get offended when I compliment someone in public or in private reps and they don't aknowledge it.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
If I understand Peeps correctly, I think she sees the difference being thanking people in public for something that was said in public as opposed to thanking a friend for sending you a complimentary note in private.

WHAT SHE SAID!!

YES!! THANK YOU MAMA!! You said what I couldn't quite find the proper words to say!! Thats what I mean exactly!!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
To clarify what I said earlier, when I get Karma I always say thank you, sometimes later than sooner because I miss it. When I give out Karma, I don't do so expecting anything back. To me it is more like an "atta boy" or pat on the back and not so much about the points.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Buckytom once answered this question the same way as I would (but more eloquently), but I can't find his post.

I do not thank people for karma. Nor do I expect to be thanked when I give it out.

Karma, to me, is like a secret little surprise that you find when you least expect it (I hardly ever check). Like a private little note given anonymously by a good Samaritan (even though Karma is not anonymous).

Karma puts a smile on my face, and I much appreciate it when I find it!

I hope my not thanking people individually is not considered rude, because I really don't intend to be rude or impolite at all!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Buckytom once answered this question the same way as I would (but more eloquently), but I can't find his post.

I do not thank people for karma. Nor do I expect to be thanked when I give it out.

Karma, to me, is like a secret little surprise that you find when you least expect it (I hardly ever check). Like a private little note given anonymously by a good Samaritan (even though Karma is not anonymous).

I hope my not thanking people individually is not considered rude, because I really don't intend to be rude or impolite at all!

Lee

Very well said Lee! :applause:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Lee

Very well said Lee! :applause:
YES Very well said :applause:

vyapti

I don't say thanks for karma unless I have something else to say. I feel kinda silly starting a new conversation on someone's page that just say's "thanks for the karma"

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks to everyone who responded. I do appreciate the insight. I've always found forums to be extremely interesting communities that mimic real life on some levels, yet are polar opposites on others.

Thanks!!!

buckytom

Grill Master

Lee

i doubt i could have said it that well. :clap:

buckytom

Grill Master
hey, i think i was mildly insulted in agreement. lol.

i was just gonna change the sig, sass. i was hoping the old crap from 2 weeks ago had hardened enough to put it out in the trash.

ok, back to karma. so long as karma remains a positive thing, i wouldn't get rid of it. there's been enough old crap to put behind us, and anything that would help make someone smile, even in a small and relatively insignificant way is a force for good and a chance for stronger future bonds.

but your still ain't gettin' a thank you from me. so there.

:whistle:

Do you thank people when they give you karma? Why or why not?

First, re the topic & meaning of Karma, puzzles me, somewhat. As I understand it (?) it stems from Buddism. Never quite understood its full meaning. I think, a more appropriate term, would be giving kudos, a thank you, if you will.

I would much prefer a response/reply "thank you" acknowledgement from members, on the Board, rather than a (hidden) Karma thanks.

I am guilty of posting, I need to spread some Karma around on the board. I will keep that in check. I do, however, try to thank members on the board for helpful info etc.

I find that 'Karma' on boards is sometimes repeatedly given among 'friends', or tossed out there to improve someone's "ranking"? in the community - or just to make one feel welcome - with little or no contributions.

In so far as saying 'thank you', I always try to remember to thank members on the board, when taking the time to answer a question etc. It is always nice to receive an acknowledgement, reply or thank you.

Re Karma, again, I have heard of a member giving negative Karma to another member. Don't think this should be allowed or used as a tool to boost or take away from reps..