Has anyone tried this?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I saw an episode of America's Test Kitchen a couple of weeks ago where they made easy french fries.

They used Yukon Golds, cut into fries, put them in a heavy bottom pot, covered with peanut oil and brought both the oil and the potatoes up to temperature together and cooked until the fries were crisp. No need to double fry and they said the fries were crisp and not greasy.

The fries looked really good so I was wondering if anyone here had tried it?

mhend

Never tried that, but if you do, let us know if they really aren't greasy. Seems to me like they would be.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I saw the same episode. I'm not sure enough to try it. Their stuff is usually pretty reliable, but this one is strange.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I thought it was strange too. I may try it with a potato or two just to see if it works.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Hey - I'll try it. I have to go to the grocery store tomorrow so I'll pick up the potatoes and peanut oil. I'll let you know how they turn out.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I have - or more accurately interceded - in that method "as being executed" by my teeny-boppers (at the time . . .)

temperature control is crucial - too hot you get under-cooked or worse partially cooked gooey insides with burnt outsides.

too cool and you get grease sticks.

somebody mentioned nuking them in the microwave to do the "par cook" then finish in the deep fryer - sounds like an interesting 'short cut'

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Did they use Yukon Gold? ATK said they tried it with russets and it didn't work very well.

smoke king

Banned
I'll try it-lately all I buy is Yukon golds, and ATK is pretty reliable so I imagine it will probably work.

Also, I was put on to "nuking" potatoes in the microwave before frying them a while back and it does work pretty well!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I cut my fries then nuke them in a bowl of water for about 8 minutes before frying. Did it last night as a matter of fact. Works great. No need to double fry, and you get a perfectly cripsy french fry.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Nuking first sounds good. When you do that, does that cut down the length of time you fry?

Actually, yes it does. Fry time becomes about the same length of time as you would fry store bought frozen fries. The results are outstanding.

I started doing this a few months ago when I got tired of double frying. It occured to me that the first fry was simply to partially cook the fries, so I figured why not blanch them first.

At first, I was simply boiling the fries in a pot of water, but then one day I got real lazy and just put them in a bowl of water and nuked them. Worked fantastically, and I've never looked back. :thumb:

Another thing I like to do is cut the potatoes into cubes, nuke them the same as fries, and then fry them. Nice little side dish - basically "home fires". Perfect for breakfast.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
That is cool Keltin, only I don't have a microwave! LOL! Dos the first way you tried it (pot of boiling water) work as well as the microwave method?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That is cool Keltin, only I don't have a microwave! LOL! Dos the first way you tried it (pot of boiling water) work as well as the microwave method?

Yes it does! It just requires using a pot that you'll have to wash later......but then again, the microwave requires you to wash the tupperware bowl you used.

Just don't over-boil them till they fall apart (obviously). The first time I did the boiling method, I got distracted and made mashed potatoes instead. :yum:

I'd say get the water to a rapid boil, add potatoes for 8-10 minutes, then drain and rinse with cold water to cool them off and stop the cooking process. Then put them in a bowl of cold water and keep in the fridge till it's time to fry. They seem to fry better when chilled, and keeping them covered in water keeps them from oxidizing and turning brown.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Yes it does! It just requires using a pot that you'll have to wash later......but then again, the microwave requires you to wash the tupperware bowl you used.

Just don't over-boil them till they fall apart (obviously). The first time I did the boiling method, I got distracted and made mashed potatoes instead. :yum:

I'd say get the water to a rapid boil, add potatoes for 8-10 minutes, then drain and rinse with cold water to cool them off and stop the cooking process. Then put them in a bowl of cold water and keep in the fridge till it's time to fry. They seem to fry better when chilled, and keeping them covered in water keeps them from oxidizing and turning brown.

Cool! So if I screw up I get mashed potatoes and if I do it right I get crispy fries! Its a win win!!:yum:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Never tried it either but have used the double fried method for many years now with no grease.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Tonight I tried it!

I have the cookbook, so I followed it exactly. (except I made 1/2 a recipe)

2 1/2 pounds yukon golds, cut into 1/4 inch fries.
6 cups peanut or veg oil
1/4 cup bacon fat

Put everything in a heavy dutch oven (no lid)
Bring to a boil over high heat (about 5 minutes).
Boil WITHOUT STIRRING for 15 minutes until lightly golden
Stir gently with tongs to loosen any stuck fries from the bottom and cook another 5-10 minutes.

They were actually good!

Except:
15 minutes was way too long, at least for my pan & stove. After 10 minutes, they were golden, and a few were already burnt and stuck to the bottom.

The extra 5-10 minutes of cooking for me was only about 2 minutes. They were done. So the total cooking time for me was 12 minutes from the boil, not 20-25.

They were easy, and it worked. Once again, ATK has come up with something that works.

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 215
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 236
  • 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 279

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
They look wonderful SS! How cool is that! Thanks for being the "guinea pig"! I can't wait to try it!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I will take one of those burgers as well! Looks like they turned out great and a very nice presentation.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I must admit that I was a little skeptical when I first saw this, but I believe now! Those look so nice and crispy, SS. And thanks to Mama for pointing out the method.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I was skeptical too, Cooksie. I guess that's why I brought it up...I just couldn't wrap my head around how that could possibly work...but I'm glad it does....it can't get much easier than that.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I saw that episode too - sometimes their way of doing things is really unnecessary and WEIRD!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I really don't understand this thread at all.
One says par boil first, some seem to think the best method is to drop them into a sea of oil and let it heat to temp and fry.
In any case, the fries look great.
However, having lived in the land of chip fryers and being married to one who was an expert chip fryer.. I'd have to say for getting a chip to crisp and fry to perfection, you have to make sure the oil isn't too hot, then bang them in.. and shake the basket inside said fryer or stir in this case.
For making roasted crisp potatoes, the par boil works well for having for a Sunday tea, and it's done in the oven on an oiled pan, stirring them around occasionally.
That's my bit of learned info on Zen And The Art Of Chips, Fries, Potatoes... or whatever you want to call them.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I think a lot of people are misunderstanding my original post. I saw an episode on Americas Test Kitchen where they used a method to make fries. The main points of the method were:

1) they used Yukon Golds, cut into 1/4 inch fries
2) the raw fries were then placed in room temperature oil
3) both the oil and the fries were both brought up to temperature together
4) they were boiled for 10 to 15 minutes without touching them
5) loosen any stuck fries and then cook to golden brown an crisp

For years, I've used the twice frying method and I was questioning whether this method would work because when I saw the show I was skeptical. Thanks to SS for trying it and confirming that it does indeed work.