"It's About Thyme" - Culpeper, Virginia

"It’s About Thyme" here in Culpeper, Virginia, has been our “go to” restaurant for special occasions since we moved to Culpeper in 1997. While we’ve seen it go through several “renovations” over the years, the superior quality of the food & service has never faltered.

Although the menu does change frequently, favorite dishes we’ve enjoyed over the years have included Garlic and Artichoke Soup; Grilled Portabello Mushrooms; Lobster Wontons (pieces of Maine lobster tail & claw piled on a fried flat wonton skin – terrific); Kobe beef filet mignon served on a bed of wasabi mashed potatoes; scallops with diced fresh tomatoes, capers, & olives served over penne pasta; a Lamb Trio, consisting of one frenched chop, one long and very spicy lamb sausage, and a sliced medallion of lamb, served on a bed of lavender-honey-scented mashed potatoes separated by a layer of sautéed broccolini (this particular dish was spectacular beyond belief); Red Snapper served on a bed of house-made wild mushroom ravioli and broccolini (broccolini is definitely a favorite vegetable here – lol); frankly, we’ve never had a disappointing meal here, which is saying a lot for any restaurant.

The service is top-notch – attentive without being cloying. When I ordered a Tanqueray gin and tonic, the waitress returned & said they “didn’t have Tanqueray gin – would Bombay Sapphire be okay”. I can’t tell you how many restaurants just would have made the gin and tonic with the Bombay without even bothering to ask. Not a big deal, but just to give you an idea how they do take service seriously.

I’ve never dined here for lunch, but every time I drive past at lunchtime they’re always packed, which is not surprising. Their most recent renovation has been turning the upper floors of the building into an “inn”, with antique-decorated rooms. In addition they’ve turned the lovely little alley outside into a very quaint outdoor bistro-type area for nice weather dining, and have teamed up with a local gourmet shop to offer gourmet take-out on the ground floor of the building next door. All in all, a very nice setup, and I can’t recommend them highly enough.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I had no idea there was a restaurant like that in Culpeper. We'll have to give it a try next time we are in the area.

My nephew went to graduate school in Charlottesville and up until he graduated we met him in Culpeper every couple of weeks usually at the Ruby Tuesdays.

Jim

Oh Goodness!!! "It's About Thyme" has been around a lot longer than "Ruby Tuesdays". But of course it's also pricier. For cocktails & a 3-course dinner for 2 I think we usually drop between $80 & $95 depending on what we order. Needless to say when we eat at Ruby's it's about 1/4 of that.

Culpeper (& neighboring Warrenton) actually boasts quite a few very decent restaurants. Stay tuned for more reviews!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Breezy, I looked up the Culpeper menu and they didn't have Kobe beef on it. Probably change the menu from time to time.

Do you remember the price you paid for that, if you don't mind saying?

It's on my "bucket list".

Lee

Yes - the menu changes frequently. They have a small basic printed menu that has pretty much stayed the same for as long as I can remember, then an extremely LONG (as in nearly longer than the printed menu!) of "specials" - some of which are "regular specials"; others of a more seasonal nature (they pride themselves on using a number of local producers). While we've enjoyed items from the printed menu, the specials are what we usually choose.

I don't remember what the Kobe beef dish cost, as they only offered it as a special that one time (unless we just keep missing it), & it was back in 1997. Some part of me wants to say $32, but I can't be sure. But currently the special appetizers have run around $8-$12 (their "Baked Oysters with Arugula Pesto" were to die for!); the special entrees around $20-$30; special desserts around $7-$8 ("Fresh Raspberry Sorbet" is another winner!). Portions have always been large enough to provide next-day lunch, & the quality is worth it.

We were supposed to have dinner here for my birthday last month, but I broke my stupid wrist 2 days before & want to be able to handle a knife & fork & really enjoy myself, so said dinner has been postponed. I'll have to remember to come back here with an update on what we enjoyed after my cast comes off. Grrrrr!

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks, BC.

I looked up a couple of restaurants in Boston that serve Kobe, and they don't have the entree prices on the online menus.

I guess if you have to ask, you can't afford it!

Lee