Calling VeraBlue! - Pasta Carbonarra help!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I've never made it - never even had it. But I was talking about it today and I want to try. I have bacon, eggs, capellini, fettuccine, linguine, and spaghetti. I have fresh garlic and basil if I need them. I even have some pancetta if that's better. I don't know which pasta to use, what else I need, or how to do this.

Can you help me in time for dinner?

Anyone else, too, please. I want the real thing - no canned this or packaged that. no artificial thickeners or flavorings.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Heres another one. Delete the recipe and leave the link if you have to. Hope it helps SS.

Spaghetti alla Carbonara: Tyler Florence

1 pound dry spaghetti
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 ounces pancetta or slab bacon, cubed or sliced into small strips
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 large eggs
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
Freshly ground black pepper
1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Directions
Prepare the sauce while the pasta is cooking to ensure that the spaghetti will be hot and ready when the sauce is finished; it is very important that the pasta is hot when adding the egg mixture, so that the heat of the pasta cooks the raw eggs in the sauce.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender yet firm (as they say in Italian "al dente.") Drain the pasta well, reserving 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water to use in the sauce if you wish.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium flame. Add the pancetta and saute for about 3 minutes, until the bacon is crisp and the fat is rendered. Toss the garlic into the fat and saute for less than 1 minute to soften.
Add the hot, drained spaghetti to the pan and toss for 2 minutes to coat the strands in the bacon fat. Beat the eggs and Parmesan together in a mixing bowl, stirring well to prevent lumps. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the egg/cheese mixture into the pasta, whisking quickly until the eggs thicken, but do not scramble (this is done off the heat to ensure this does not happen.) Thin out the sauce with a bit of the reserved pasta water, until it reaches desired consistency. Season the carbonara with several turns of freshly ground black pepper and taste for salt. Mound the spaghetti carbonara into warm serving bowls and garnish with chopped parsley. Pass more cheese around the table.

Inserted from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/spaghetti-alla-carbonara-recipe/index.html

Sorry it took so long for me to respond but my puter is cranky for some reason.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I think I like Tyler's better than Giada's - I don't think carbonara should have cream in it.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
SousChef wouldn't wait for Vera. So I checked the recipes from Karen & Peeps. Then I went hunting around for more. I even watched 2 videos in Italian on YouTube!

Here's what I ended up doing:

Put 6 ounces linguine on to boil.

Heat 2 T olive oil in a saute pan. Add a couple ounces pancetta, cut in 1/4 inch dice. Cook slowly until golden brown and most of the fat is rendered. Set pan aside to cool just a bit.

Grate 1/2 ounce Parmigiano Reggiano and 1/2 ounce Pecorino Romano.

Beat 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk in a dish. Add 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, and 3/4 of the grated cheese. Whisk to combine. Add warm cooked pancetta and a tablespoon of the warm oil. Whisk well.

When pasta is ready, lift out and into pan with remaining hot oil. Do not drain well, you want some of the water clinging to the pasta. Toss to coat thoroughly. Toss in a handful of peas (frozen, NOT canned), and the egg mixture. Combine well, and add a ladle or 2 of the hot pasta water to help make the sauce. (you will definitely needs this). Garnish with the remaining cheese.

Attachments

• carbonarra 001.jpg
    carbonarra 001.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 233
  • carbonarra 005.jpg
    carbonarra 005.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 231
  • carbonarra 007.jpg
    carbonarra 007.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 239
  • carbonarra 010.jpg
    carbonarra 010.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 246

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, what did you think, SS?

It sure looks wonderful!

Would you do anything differently next time?

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
SousChef wouldn't wait for Vera. So I checked the recipes from Karen & Peeps. Then I went hunting around for more. I even watched 2 videos in Italian on YouTube!

Here's what I ended up doing:

Put 6 ounces linguine on to boil.

Heat 2 T olive oil in a saute pan. Add a couple ounces pancetta, cut in 1/4 inch dice. Cook slowly until golden brown and most of the fat is rendered. Set pan aside to cool just a bit.

Grate 1/2 ounce Parmigiano Reggiano and 1/2 ounce Pecorino Romano.

Beat 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk in a dish. Add 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, and 3/4 of the grated cheese. Whisk to combine. Add warm cooked pancetta and a tablespoon of the warm oil. Whisk well.

When pasta is ready, lift out and into pan with remaining hot oil. Do not drain well, you want some of the water clinging to the pasta. Toss to coat thoroughly. Toss in a handful of peas (frozen, NOT canned), and the egg mixture. Combine well, and add a ladle or 2 of the hot pasta water to help make the sauce. (you will definitely needs this). Garnish with the remaining cheese.

Fantastic SS!! I always use 1/2 & 1/2 romano and parm cheeses also. The peas are a wonderful addition. Just beautiful plating.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Well, what did you think, SS?

Would you do anything differently next time?

Lee

Interesting question, Q.

We liked it, and I have learned to ask the very clear question: "Do you want this again?" We both agreed to put it in the rotation. However, I think I might cut back on the pancetta just a bit. I went to the freezer and pulled out a 1/4 inch slice labeled "2 oz" (no laughing - I'm as anal in my freezer packaging as I am with everything else). I wouldn't cut back dramatically, but I might have pulled a little smaller piece.

Other than that - we liked it a lot. But keep in mind, neither of us has ever eaten carbonarra before, so we have no basis of comparison.

I'd use the peas again, and we both agreed that garlic wouldn't work. I thought about basil, but I'm glad I skipped it. The one thing I saw in someone's recipe was a splash of white wine. I'd be inclined to try that one - right after sauteing the pancetta, but it would probably make a mess of spattering on the stove. I firmly believe that booze enhances any dish!!!!!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Both ideas are interesting. I actually saw one recipe that used onions, but I didn't try that. I hadn't thought of mushrooms.

Bacon-eggs-cheese-onions-mushrooms all go together very well in omelettes. Why not here? They don't seem to be traditional ingredients, but then, neither are the peas. I'd certainly give either or both a try.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
SS! That is gorgeous! You always do such a wonderful job! I'm so trying this! :clap:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh, since Carbonarra is an Italian recipe, I'll ask Massimo (a co-worker, he's born and raised in Italy) and his wife (she's american & a chef) what they do. I'll also have Massimo ask his Mom who still lives in Italy. This should be a cool project!!

mhend

Oh, since Carbonarra is an Italian recipe, I'll ask Massimo (a co-worker, he's born and raised in Italy) and his wife (she's american & a chef) what they do. I'll also have Massimo ask his Mom who still lives in Italy. This should be a cool project!!

That's cool! Can't wait to see what he says. Carbonara is a favorite of mine. I have a friend from Italy too and he showed me a few techniques that he grew up with...one of those being that roasted or toasted garlic. It's so good. Never thought I would eat whole chunks of garlic, but now I'm hooked. It totally changes its taste and I actually crave it from time to time. :thumb:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'll look forward to what an 'real' Italian says.

And even though I've already made this, I want Vera's input on how to make it better.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
How did I miss this yesterday???
If I have both pancetta and bacon in the house, I'll always choose the pancetta. You also need onion, and peas make a very nice addition. Do you have heavy cream? White wine?

Saute the pancetta or bacon, rendering as much fat as possible without overcooking. Remove the meat, leave the fat. Add butter and saute diced onion and garlic and saute till translucent. Meanwhile, cook your pasta till al dente. When the vegetables are translucent, add about a cup of wine and cook to reduce it a bit. Not too much. Add a cup of heavy cream and reduce a bit more. Strain the pasta, leaving a quarter cup of cooking liquid. Add this, plus frozen peas (if you want them) to the bacon and onions. Cook 1 more minute. Add in 1/2 c grated cheese and fresh chopped parsley, S&P.

Plate, add more cheese and parsely.

I'm sorry I'm so late with this!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
How did I miss this yesterday???
If I have both pancetta and bacon in the house, I'll always choose the pancetta. You also need onion, and peas make a very nice addition. Do you have heavy cream? White wine?

LOL! I always have pancetta, heavy cream and white wine! Aren't they all considered pantry staples?

I'm glad to see you like the peas, and I should have added the wine. I didn't know you could use cream instead of egg. That sounds like it would eliminate the chance of curdling, yet still give you the creaminess.

I think I'll try it your way next time.

K

Kimchee

Great thread! I am always wanting to expand my "Italian" cook book... the TNT spaghetti recipe is aging.
I can make this, and will!

buckytom

Grill Master
nice job, ss. i would have scarfed that down in pleasurable seconds.

it's interesting this topic came up. watch the most recent anthony bourdain: no reservations episode when he hoes to rome with his wife.

he eats in a small trattoria, called a casa di rita, where the chef makes him - and they show you the method up close - carbonara, with and without zucchini flowers. traditional and americana, respectively. they also make a pasta penne al' amatriciana that is shot like a cooking show.

i was craving pasta so badly around midnight last night. i'd have to say it's one of my favourite segments of the show of all time. 7 seasons now. he's been getting a little too full of himself this season, but this was a really good episode.

here's a piece of a play by play review of that segment:
(go here: http://www.tvrecapsreviews.com/no-reservations-season-7-episode-7-rome/ for the whole review)

"
Tony walks down the neighborhood streets of Rome “back in time”, decked out in a black suit and black tie with white shirt. As Tony travels down the old cobblestone streets the camera captures the beautiful architecture of the city. Tony meets locals Sara and Marco at A Casa di Rita, where the owner, her cousin the chef, and her daughter run the restaurant. The daughter greets Tony, Sara and Marco. Tony tells the audience he does not speak Italian, while Marco speaks only Italian. Tony invites Sara to order the meal for them. When Sara orders the carbonara Americana, Marco is concerned because the American version in this restaurant features zucchini blossoms when in season and he wants traditional carbonara. The daughter takes their order and seems upset that Marco wants the dish half traditional, half Americana carbonara. The daughter delivers the traditional carbonara to the table. Sara has to coax the daughter to convince the chef to make the Americana version so Tony can try it, which she finally delivers to the table. They try the next pasta dish, made from cooked bacon from pig’s cheeks, white wine, fresh tomatoes, and pecorino cheese mixed into rigatoni pasta. The chef adds a little onion to the dish, to the dismay of Marco.
Tony respects Marco’s dislike of the non-traditional dishes, while quite liking the additions of zucchini flower and onion the chef makes to the meal. Having tried both versions of carbonara, Tony votes for the Americana carbonara. As the cameras roll, a verbal fight breaks out between a customer and the chef. The daughter tries to calm the customer, who yells and gestures wildly, and the chef and daughter returning his gestures. Tony tells the audience he was a little freaked out by the fight, but things finally calm down and more food starts coming to the table. Next on the plate is braised Ox tails, one of Tony’s favorites. Tony comments on the fight to Sara who translates Tony’s comment to the daughter: “You tell her I had her back. Cause Baldy? I had my eye on Baldy. I didn’t like his look. If he got any more up in her face, bam, he was out.” The camera pans to the daughter, who is grinning widely after Tony’s comments. Tony tells the audience the food was excellent, all in all, a great meal."

all i can say is i really need to go find some guanciale.

Haven't made Carbonara in a long time. I'm pretty much a purist - bacon, eggs & cheese. I add red pepper flakes, sometimes white wine, & add some pasta water to the beaten eggs (so they don't scramble). After I add the egg(s) at the end, I keep it on the stove while I toss everything together (except the cheese) for about a minute or two. Top with romano or parm, & sprinkle with fresh parsley. Interesting to see so many takes.

P.S. Check your egg cartons, per the recent News.