Cheese and Bean Enchiladas

SierraCook

I try to eat a meatless meal at least once a week and here is one that is a mainstay in my recipe files.

Cheese and Bean Enchiladas

3 cups cheddar, Colby, or Mexican cheese blend, divided
1 can (16 oz.) vegetarian refried beans
1 jar (24 oz.) salsa, divided
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/3 teaspoon ground cumin
12 flour tortillas (6 inches)
Sliced ripe olives, optional
Additional sliced, green onions, optional
Sour cream, optional
Guacamole, optional

In a large bowl combine beans, 1 cup salsa, 1 ½ cups cheese, green onions, and cumin. Spread 1 cup of salsa into the bottom of 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Spoon a heaping 1/3 cup bean mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up tortillas and arrange seam side down on the salsa. Top with remaining salsa and cheese. Bake a 350º for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve with sliced ripe olives, green onions, sour cream, and guacamole. Makes 6 servings.

K

Kimchee

Looks tasty to me! Red or green salsa would be good, I bet.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This looks wonderful, Sierra. I love that it calls for flour tortillas. Here in San Antonio, almost all enchiladas are made with corn tortillas, but I prefer the flour. And I almost always have all the listed ingredients on hand. I'll be making this one soon.

buckytom

Grill Master
yumm, sc! copied and saved.

i hate to say it with the meatless thing and all, but this is the side dish that's served with my favourite mexican platter: bistec tampiquena.

the enchiladas are made in a large platter while a ny strip steak grills. the enchiladas are pushed to one side, the steak placed in the middle topped with salsa, and refried beans fill in the other side.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
yumm, sc! copied and saved.

i hate to say it with the meatless thing and all, but this is the side dish that's served with my favourite mexican platter: bistec tampiquena.

the enchiladas are made in a large platter while a ny strip steak grills. the enchiladas are pushed to one side, the steak placed in the middle topped with salsa, and refried beans fill in the other side.
NY STRIP STEAK :shock: MY FAVORITE!!

buckytom

Grill Master
NY STRIP STEAK :shock: MY FAVORITE!!

peep, you needs to be making your way over to el norte on 46 east in lodi, just past outwater lane.

great mexican food and drinks. if you like strip, get the tampiquena as i'd mentioned.

only go on busier nights, though. don't go monday thru wednesday. the service sucks.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
peep, you needs to be making your way over to el norte on 46 east in lodi, just past outwater lane.

great mexican food and drinks. if you like strip, get the tampiquena as i'd mentioned.

only go on busier nights, though. don't go monday thru wednesday. the service sucks.
i have been there and we really didn't like it. for mexican we like on the border restaurant and for NY strip i ONLY go to Steve's Bar and Grill on Rt. 17 south in carlstadt, for Steve's Sizzling Steak they have the BEST Ny strip, fries and mushrooms around.

if i can talk the family into going to el norte again i will give it another try.

buckytom

Grill Master
i've eaten at steve's a few times. i used to know the owner's son blaze.

i guess our tastebuds are very different because i thought it sucked. the steaks were grisly every time, lol, but i never told him that.

SierraCook

Thanks all for your replies. I hope that you like the recipe. I have not made this recipe for awhile, but it might have to happen this month before it gets too hot to use the oven.