Peameal Bacon - tutorial & recipes

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Peameal Bacon is similar to Canadian Bacon. It is cured but not smoked. Peameal Bacon is made from pork loins weighing 12-14 Lb. They are trimmed of all the fat and the bones are removed. The term peameal comes from the ground yellow peas with which the bacon was originally coated. This ensured better curing and shelf life and avoided bacterial problems. Over the years this tradition was changed to cornmeal, due to the availability of corn.

You may buy boneless loins from your butcher shop, which are about 8 Lb. or so. Some supermarkets sell 4 Lb. loins that are half loins. These loins are sometimes pumped with marinades, water or other liquids. They should not be used in the recipes listed below, as the liquid level present in them will affect the curing process. Be sure to ask for a loin that has not been pumped.

The meat is then cured in a brine solution or by dry rub. After curing the loins are coated with yellow cornmeal, sliced and fried.

The loins should be chilled to 34 degrees F. in the center before starting.

Brine Solution Method

Brine Recipe - Does up to 25 lb. of meat.
5 Qt. Ice-Cold Water - 35-38 degrees F. - Never higher
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons Powdered Dextrose
1/4 Cup Modern Cure
3/4 Cup Canning/Pickling Salt

Dissolve all ingredients in the ice-cold water. Inject the dissolved solution into the loins using an injector. Inject 10% of the weight of the loins. (A 12 lb. loin requires 1.2 Lb. of solution to be injected throughout it ) Place the loin to soak in the left over solution, under refrigeration for 4-6 days at 38-40 degrees. After curing is complete remove from solution and soak in cold water. Pat dry or refrigerate uncovered to dry slightly.

Dry Rub Method

Rub the mixture into the pork loin. Place loin in a plastic bag and tie the open end. Refrigerate and allow to cure for 3-5 days. Remove from cure and soak in cool water for 30 minutes. Pat dry or refrigerate uncovered to dry slightly.

Rub ingredients: For each pound of loin
1 Tablespoon Morton Tender Quick or Morton Plain Sugar Cure
1 Teaspoon of sugar

Cooking Directions:

Traditional - The loins are traditionally cooked by frying. Rub the loins liberally with yellow corn meal. You may add red and black pepper (to taste) to the cornmeal. Cut into 1/8-inch thick slices. After slicing you may also coat both sides of the slice before frying. Fry at low temperature for 8-10 minutes.

Maple Glazed Mixture For 2-1/2 pounds of peameal bacon
1/8 cup maple syrup
1/2 tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Baking Methods

Roast Peameal - You may also cook it as a roast by coating the loin with honey and mustard, adding a little water and oven bake in a covered pan at 350F for approximately 1-1/2 hours (165F internal temperature) cook last 1/2 hour uncovered. Upon cutting the result should be pinkish in color and juicy with a firm texture

Glazed Roast - Score the top of a 4 to 5 pound piece of peameal back bacon in diamonds, as you would ham. Set on a rack in a greased shallow pan. Sprinkle with lemon juice, stud top symmetrically with seven or so cloves. Make a paste using the ingredients listed below and spread over top of roast. Pour about 1/2 cup fruit juice into the pan. Bake at 325F for approximately 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours (166F internal temperature). Baste with pan liquid often. Add a few tablespoons boiling water during the cooking if pan seems dry.

Paste Ingredients
3 tablespoons pineapple jam
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs or flour

Sliced Baked - Cut bacon into thin slices, and then reassemble into original form by tying together with butcher's twine. Place on rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake in a 350F oven for 1 hour. Pour 1/4 cup water into the pan to prevent bacon drying out. Combine maple syrup, apple juice, lemon juice, flour and mustard in a small saucepan; mix well. Heat to boiling. Remove bacon from oven. Brush maple syrup mixture over bacon and dribble some between the slices. Return to oven for approximately 20 to 25 minutes (165F internal temperature) and baste occasionally with remaining glaze. Place on a platter. Remove string, allowing slices to fall in a domino effect along the platter.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Serve with scalloped potatoes and baked acorn squash

Maple Syrup Mixture
1/4-cup maple syrup
1/4-cup apple juice
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. dry mustard

being injected and brined

(595)

Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
1151560.jpg

finished

1151567.jpg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Wow! I don't know how I missed this one.

I lived in Southern Ontario for about 7 years back in the early to mid 1970's. One of the things I've missed, asked for, and can't get is peameal bacon. I'm convinced that no one outside of Canada has ever heard of it.

I never thought to make it myself. Thanks, Bamm. This one is now saved. I'll be trying it.:kiss:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
With shipping, that's over $30 a pound for bacon!

I think Bam's way IS real peameal bacon. I'm the 'make it from scratch girl".