Question

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I intended to ask this question a while back but don't remember if I ever did.

I have heard that Avocados can be mashed and frozen.

Now for the question... Is it normal for the Avocado to turn an orange color after being frozen?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I intended to ask this question a while back but don't remember if I ever did.

I have heard that Avocados can be mashed and frozen.

Now for the question... Is it normal for the Avocado to turn an orange color after being frozen?
ORANGE? Yikes. I have never frozen avacado but orange color would shock the heck out of me. I have only seen it turn a brown unappealing color if left to long even with acid (lemon and/or lime juice) added.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I don't see why you couldn't freeze mashed avocados in an airtight pkg. The main ingredient in this is avocados, and it stays green. I've used it before, and it's pretty good. I usually do add some things to it.

Ingredients: http://eatwholly.com/products/wholly-guacamole/classic-guacamole.html

guac-large-classic.png

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks very much for responding! I think i'll just throw it out and try it a different way again later. :)

Leni

I went to the California Avocado Society webpage. You can freeze them but it works best if you puree them with a couple teaspoons of lemon juice. I've never heard of them turning orange and as a native Californian I have eaten more than my fair share of them. It's a basic staple in this household. They normally turn an ugly brown when exposed to air. An acid such as lemon juice or vinegar will prevent that. Naturally you'll want to put the pureed avocado into a freezer container with as little air in it as possible. I think that I'd use a ziploc baggie and squeeze as much air out as possible.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I went to the California Avocado Society webpage. You can freeze them but it works best if you puree them with a couple teaspoons of lemon juice. I've never heard of them turning orange and as a native Californian I have eaten more than my fair share of them. It's a basic staple in this household. They normally turn an ugly brown when exposed to air. An acid such as lemon juice or vinegar will prevent that. Naturally you'll want to put the pureed avocado into a freezer container with as little air in it as possible. I think that I'd use a ziploc baggie and squeeze as much air out as possible.
LOVE your sig Leni!!

Leni

That's what my German born father always said. He was the one who read the directions from front to back at least twice before he started a project.