Help me make gnocchi

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I was wondering if the next time anyone makes gnocchi, would they mind taking some pictures? I want to make it but honestly, I've only had it a few times years ago and I don't remember exactly what they look like. When I read the directions on how to shape them, it doesn't make sense to me.

Actually, if anyone has a favorite gnocchi recipe and a suggestion for what kind of sauce, I'd be so grateful.

(It's beginning to sound like it would be easier for someone to just come to my house and make it for me, huh? :sorry:)

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Wonder if Mama has anything up her sleeve?

I just buy the pre packaged stuff, I have only had it 2 or 3 times and I'm still not sure if I like it or if I'm prepairing it right!

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Yea FM... we have this place called Wold Market, (I'm sure you can get this stuff at your nicer high end grocery stores), but it is about as fresh as you can get to making the stuff your self. You drop in water for a few minutes and then it is ready to be sauced or sauted. I would mention the brand name, but I can't remember off the top of my head. It seems ok, but I'm just not sure about it myself, I don't think it appeals to my pallet much.

Next time I'm there, I will try and look to see what brand it is.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I was wondering if the next time anyone makes gnocchi, would they mind taking some pictures? I want to make it but honestly, I've only had it a few times years ago and I don't remember exactly what they look like. When I read the directions on how to shape them, it doesn't make sense to me.

Actually, if anyone has a favorite gnocchi recipe and a suggestion for what kind of sauce, I'd be so grateful.

(It's beginning to sound like it would be easier for someone to just come to my house and make it for me, huh? :sorry:)

heres a video for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7HSmxpKBVM

simplicity

There's pre-packaged stuff??????

Our HEB has it. Maybe you can find it in yours. (I'm always thinking S.A. has HEB's. Isn't that where it got started?) I've never bought it. I think they sell fresh in the refrigerator section where other fresh pasta is sold, and in the freezer section in bags.

AllenOK

I made some last year. The end result should be a little "dumpling" about the size of a grape.

I've made a couple different sauces for gnocci at work.

One of those is a cream sauce for scallops. I saute scallops, when the scallops are done, throw some shallots and sage into the same pan. Saute. Deglaze with white wine, then add some cream. Reduce to desired thickness. Salt and pepper to taste. Be sure to add any liquid that the scallops give off while you're making the sauce.

Otherwise, at least for me, a good pesto can't be beat.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Did you ever try Gnocchi? I was in Publix the other day looking for some noodles for dinner, and right there on the shelf, they had 3 different brands of pre-made and dried Gnocchi “noodles” in bags. I’ve never even noticed this before, but BOOM, there they were. So if you have a Publix, check the noodle isle, and you’ll find several brands of dried Gnocchi to choose from in case you don’t want to got through all the labor to make it.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Did you ever try Gnocchi? I was in Publix the other day looking for some noodles for dinner, and right there on the shelf, they had 3 different brands of pre-made and dried Gnocchi “noodles” in bags. I’ve never even noticed this before, but BOOM, there they were. So if you have a Publix, check the noodle isle, and you’ll find several brands of dried Gnocchi to choose from in case you don’t want to got through all the labor to make it.

nooooooooo they are nasty, dont do it..lol

if you have never had gnocchi and you try these, you will have doubts about eating them ever again..lol

i did this to mrs bam and now she is hesitant to try the real ones..lol

the frozen ones are not bad but just hard to find in usa

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
nooooooooo they are nasty, dont do it..lol

if you have never had gnocchi and you try these, you will have doubts about eating them ever again..lol

i did this to mrs bam and now she is hesitant to try the real ones..lol

the frozen ones are not bad but just hard to find in usa

Really? Thanks for letting us know!!!!

Ok, just do it the old fashoned way then!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
One of the local supermarkets sell frozen gnocchi, which I think are quite nice.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
One of the local supermarkets sell frozen gnocchi, which I think are quite nice.

i have a local market that i buy mine from. we have been buying them there for as long as i have been alive. they are just as good as our homemade ones but without all the work..lol

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I'm with Bam on this one. There sea good fresh ones in the NYC area due to a lot of Italian Americans. Otherwise the old adage applies "homemade is best"

Wart

Banned
A vid showing the shaping by rolling over a ridged tool (this is part 2 and the rolling is 1/5 to 1/6 the way through):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XXoOEoU7Eg&feature=related[/ame]

MiL use to shape her gnocchi by rolling it over the eng of a spoon with her thumb.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
A vid showing the shaping by rolling over a ridged tool (this is part 2 and the rolling is 1/5 to 1/6 the way through):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XXoOEoU7Eg&feature=related

MiL use to shape her gnocchi by rolling it over the eng of a spoon with her thumb.

I have seen it made by rolling the gnocchi over a fork. However, I have also seen that step skipped--not glamorous looking but still delicious.

pugger

Yea FM... we have this place called Wold Market, (I'm sure you can get this stuff at your nicer high end grocery stores), but it is about as fresh as you can get to making the stuff your self. You drop in water for a few minutes and then it is ready to be sauced or sauted. I would mention the brand name, but I can't remember off the top of my head. It seems ok, but I'm just not sure about it myself, I don't think it appeals to my pallet much.

Next time I'm there, I will try and look to see what brand it is.
I have a box of it (I bought it:huh:) myself, be time to throw it out before I talk DW into having it w/ a meal.:bonk: