Roasted tomatoes dressed in garlic, olive oil and balsamic vinegar

lesley

This is one of my favourite suppers, sliced tomatoes dressed in olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic, served with hot French crusty bread to dip in, simple but delicious.

Tomatoes.jpg

Serves 4
Prep Time 5 mins
Cooking Time 20 mins
Ingredients

• 8 Large tomatoes, sliced
  • 3 Medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • Handful of fresh chopped basil
  • 4-5 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
  • 1-2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
Method

• Slice the tomatoes in half
  • Lay in a medium size baking tin
  • Sprinkle the chopped garlic over the tomatoes
  • Mix the olive oil and the vinegar together in a container and shake vigorously (see Cooks tips 1.)
  • Add the basil to the mixture, to infuse (see Cooks tips 2.)
  • Pour over the tomatoes
  • Bake in a pre heated oven 425°F/ 220°C/Gas mark 7 for 20 mins
Cook's tips

• 1. It doesn’t really matter if you’re a bit over with the oil or vinegar, as long as it’s roughly one third vinegar to two thirds olive oil
  • 2. If you infuse the basil in the oil and vinegar it will prevent it burning
Equipment

• Medium size baking tin
Shopping List

• 8 Large tomatoes
  • Garlic
  • Fresh basil
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Balsamic vinegar

homecook

That sounds really good. I can't wait til my tomatoes start to ripen. I've got to try this. Thanks!!

Constance

I love roasted tomatoes! I've never tried using the balsamic vinegar, though. I do add a sprinkle of dried oregano, salt and pepper and diced onion.

Don't you love they way they make your kitchen smell while they are roasting?

lilylove

I made these for dinner tonight!! :) Very good. I topped mine with a little parm cheese too for an added boost. We love cheese. Both Paul and I thought that if we cut the tomatoes up and added just a little salt it would make a wonderful topping for pasta. I'll do that next time...!

Thank you!!!

lesley

I love roasted tomatoes! I've never tried using the balsamic vinegar, though. I do add a sprinkle of dried oregano, salt and pepper and diced onion.

Don't you love they way they make your kitchen smell while they are roasting?
Hi Constance,
Yes I do love the smell of tomatoes in the kitchen...with the balsamic vinegar, you can either use it in the cooking..or drizzle it over the toms when you ready to serve...both are good..i love the sound of oregano & onion, will give that a blast ...:flowers: