Chicken and Green Rice - one pot

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I wanted to use my homegrown Anaheim peppers, so made this dish. Unfortunately, my peppers are hotter than the Anaheims I buy at the supermarket, so this dish was too spicy for me.

Gave the leftovers to a friend, who will be eating them for a week.

Otherwise, the flavors were excellent. I'd make it again with mild peppers.

Lee

Arroz Verde Con Pollo (Green Rice and Chicken)

6 mild long chiles, such as Anaheim
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 bunch cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup water
2 cups long grain white rice, rinsed until water runs clear
3 T. olive oil
8 chicken thighs
3 cups chicken broth

Char chiles, put in paper bag for 10 minutes, remove skin, seeds and membranes from chiles. Chop 5 of them and place in food processor or blender. Set aside the 6th chile for garnish.

Puree the chiles along with the garlic, onion, cilantro, lime juice and water.

In a large pot with a lid, heat oil and brown the chicken pieces, and set aside. Lower the heat and sauté rice for about 2 minutes. Add chile and onion puree and cook for another couple of minutes. Season with salt.

Add chicken thighs and 2 1/2 cups of the chicken stock, stir and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

Cover the pot and cook over low heat about 30 minutes, until chicken is teneder, rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed. Add some of the reserved stock if too dry.

When done, remove the pot from heat and place a double layer of paper towels under the lid, cover, and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Chop the reserved chili and a few cilantro leaves to garnish.

Attachments

• Peppers 1.JPG
    Peppers 1.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Chicken browned.JPG
    Chicken browned.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Rice sauteed.JPG
    Rice sauteed.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Chicken and pesto.JPG
    Chicken and pesto.JPG