homecook

2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup minced celery
1/4 cup minced onion
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups sliced white mushrooms
1 cup crabmeat
1 cup bay shrimp, cooked (smallest shrimp)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
2 green onions, sliced

Bread

2 loaves Italian bread
1/2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat in a large saucepan. Add celery, onions and red pepper flakes and simmer slowly (sweat) the ingredients over low heat for 20 minutes. You don't want the ingredients to turn brown, rather you want them to slowly cook until the celery softens and the onions begin to turn translucent.

2. Add cream, mushrooms, crab, shrimp and salt to the pan. Turn the heat up a bit until the liquid begins to bubble, then bring the heat back down and let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes or until it reduces to about 1/2 the volume and becomes thick. Watch the saucepan carefully to make sure the mixture doesn't bubble over. In the meantime, turn your oven to broil.

3. Prepare the bread by cutting the loaves into 1/2-inch thick slices. Combine the dried parsley flakes and garlic powder with a stick of melted butter in a small bowl. Brush some of this garlic butter on each side of each bread slice and toast the bread under the hot broiler for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until the bread is toasted to a light brown.

4. When the dip has thickened pour it into an 8x8-inch casserole dish. Combine the shredded cheddar and jack cheese and sprinkle the cheese mixture over the dip. Broil the dip for 3 to 4 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle sliced green onions over the top and serve hot with the garlic toast on the side, and some spoons or forks for spreading the dip onto the toast.

Barb

lilylove

They just keep getting better and better!!! And the calorie count must be getting higher and higher! YUMMMMY CHEESE AND CREAM! This is my kind of cooking!

GrantsKat

OMG how did I miss this? Im making it this weekend, noone in my family likes shrimp but me, so oink oink I will just have to eat it all! ; )