"Rotisserie" Crockpot Chicken?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
That looks interesting CC.
I'd try it.
Based on a few of the comments following, sounds like it works out pretty well.

Guts

I believe the ckn will make it's own liquid, but can't see it browning without some color in the seasoning.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
That's one of the reasons, Guts, that I never got a crock pot. The total lack of browning or crisping.

If you want the colour, try adding some seasoned Gravy Master all over the skin before you begin the cooking process. You'll get colour but not crisp.

Guts

VB I can't believe you don't have a crock pot, there are some things that need to be cooked slow and a crock pot is the way to go IMHO I have three of them. One a very small one for dips or sauce, more of a warming type crock pot.

I was thinking some paprika on the ckn.

goatherder

I routinely use a crock pot for pot roast, beef roast, chili, and various chicken dishes. Never tried the rotisserie chicken, but think I will give it a try. I see no problem with not adding any liquid, this will not harm a crock pot.

I think I can honestly say that I always, 100% of the time, brown my meats before putting them in a crock pot. Then I deglaze the pan and add that to the crock pot too.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
VB I can't believe you don't have a crock pot, there are some things that need to be cooked slow and a crock pot is the way to go IMHO I have three of them. One a very small one for dips or sauce, more of a warming type crock pot.

I absolutely agree with the long and slow cook...but I prefer cast iron.

You could use paprika, but I'd add it to the gravy master, along with other seasonings.

Thanks guys. Forgot to mention... a video I watched had the chicken sitting on 3-4 crumpled up tin foil balls, so it won't cook/sit in the fat. I like that idea. Maybe I could sprinkle the bird with herbes de provence & slide some thin slices of oranges and/or lemons under the skin; & toss in halved oranges or lemons, as well. I generally don't eat the skin. I'm mostly concerned about the pot cracking w/o liquid. What do you CP-users think?

Phiddlechik

sitting it on the balls of foil also keeps it from sticking to the slow cooker if not much moisture is released. I would check the manufacturer's recommendations for your particular slow cooker. Is it a "crock pot?"
check out this site: http://www.crock-pot.com/Recipe.aspx?rid=105 This recipe seems to only use the juice of a lemon over the top.

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I think I might try this, but, like goatherder, I always brown meat before putting it in the crockpot. I suppose I could brown the whole chicken in my CI skillet - just keep turning it. Deglaze the pan with some broth or wine, then add it to the pot. I'm sure it would come out nice and moist if it wasn't overcooked.

goatherder

ohhh Karen, now I don't know what to do. I had not even considered whether I would brown the chicken for the rotisserie recipe, or not. Never entered my mind. I guess I was thinking I would follow the recipe (no browning) because I wanted to see how it turned out. But I have a feeling that I simply can not put a raw chicken in a crock pot.

Maybe I will do two chickens, one browned and one not. I am dealing with 3 pound chickens, rather small. They were from a batch raised when the weather was dreadfully hot here. Even though they were pastured raised, there was no pasture and few bugs because of drought conditions. Browning these fellers will not be a problem because they are so small, easy to flop around in the CI skillet.

goatherder

" But I have a feeling that I simply can not put a raw chicken in a crock pot."
???????
Did you look at the Crockpot site?

Yes, I did. By this time, I have probably looked at 10 different recipes, now that I am aware of the concept of rotisserie chicken in a crock pot.

Phiddlechik

and I'm not sure why you call it "rotisserie" chicken. It's not turning. It's more like a roast chicken (when you don't add liquid). Just wondering.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I understand your reluctance to put a whole raw chicken in a crockpot. Doesn't feel right. But I think I will try it as well. I do cook 6-8 pound turkey breasts in the crockpot all the time, and they turn out great. Rub it down with onion soup mix and put it in there, close the lid and come back 10 hours later. Best turkey breast I ever ate.

Great ideas guys!!! Now I'm thinking about using some cornish game hens. :bounce: To be on the safe side, maybe I could add just 1 cup of white wine.

Another video/demo I watched, showed the gal rubbing the bird all over with oil, then sprinkling with seasoning(s) & patting it into the bird. She also sprayed the entire CP with cooking spray. Have fun with it. Let us know how it turns out. Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions/input :)

goatherder

okay, I tried this yesterday....here's what I did..washed and patted dry my pitiful 3# 2 ounce chickie....rubbed bird all over with butter, then sprinkled on; i mixed all this together;

2 t. kosher salt
1 t. smoked paprika
1 t. onion powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. italian seasoning
1 t. freshly coursely ground black pepper

I placed in the crock some medium small whole potatoes,(in place of the scrunched up aluminum foil balls) placed bird on top, breast side down, covered, cooked on high for 4 hours.

Now I realize it has been so long since I had a store bought rotisserie bird I don't remember what they are like:huh:. But this bird is outstanding. I did not brown the bird and may not in the future, with this particular recipe.

Attachments

• DSCN2678.jpg
    DSCN2678.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN2680.jpg
    DSCN2680.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN2684.jpg
    DSCN2684.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN2686.jpg
    DSCN2686.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN2690.jpg
    DSCN2690.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 109

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

I have a slow cooker/deep fryer/rice steamer (temp dial goes from 150F to 350F) that I only use for deepfrying chicken or simmering a pot roast (I can brown the roast than turn down and simmer in same pot). I would rather do long and slow on the stove top in my heavy bottom Cuisinart SS 5 quart pot. I did win a crock pot with the removable crock (it just has high and low settings) at a tricky tray. I used it once to keep homemade mac and cheese warm.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
That chicken looks pretty darn good! And moist! Lots of lovely juices, too. I'm doing that - TODAY. Thanks for the great pictures.

okay, I tried this yesterday....here's what I did..washed and patted dry my pitiful 3# 2 ounce chickie....rubbed bird all over with butter, then sprinkled on; i mixed all this together;

2 t. kosher salt
1 t. smoked paprika
1 t. onion powder
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. italian seasoning
1 t. freshly coursely ground black pepper

I placed in the crock some medium small whole potatoes,(in place of the scrunched up aluminum foil balls) placed bird on top, breast side down, covered, cooked on high for 4 hours.

Now I realize it has been so long since I had a store bought rotisserie bird I don't remember what they are like:huh:. But this bird is outstanding. I did not brown the bird and may not in the future, with this particular recipe.

YUM! I want some!!! Looks delish, GH. Thanks for sharing your results, recipe & pics.