ABT's...How long in the smoker???

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I made up a batch of ABT's and threw them in the smoker with the ribs and chicken. About how long do they take to cook?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It depends on how hot your cooker is and how dark you like the bacon.

If I'm running around 230 degrees, I let them go for about an hour and a half. At that low temp, the bacon doesn't get crispy, but you can nuke them, bake them or broil them to finish them off.

Lee

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I made up a batch of ABT's and threw them in the smoker with the ribs and chicken. About how long do they take to cook?
until the pepper is soft and the bacon is fairly crunchy... usually around 3-4 hours for my liking

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Thanks folks. I'll check them at about 2 hours and then finish them in the house if need be. I mainly wanted to try them with the smoke flavor. This gives me time to go exchange 2 empty propane bottles. I think the one on the grill is almost empty, and I need the grill to finish the ribs and chicken later on. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure how I ended up with three 20# bottles? Hmmmmmmmmm...? Oh well, CRS at its finest.:bonk::yum::yum::yum:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I couldn't wait so I checked them at 1.5 hrs and they were done perfectly. the smoker was running about 230F and they were on teh top rack, so I guess that's why they got done sooner. Very good flavor, especially when dipped in some ranch dressing. Yummo!

P1010818.jpg

FooD

The last two times I did ABT's they took about 2 hours in my Brinkman electirc smoker.
I started using the Brinkman with a clay saucer in the water pan instead of using water and the bacon came out a bit more crisper as well.

I'm doing ABT's tonight.....something to munch on for the Laker game tonight.
I'm using whole peppers tonight to see how they turn out....:))))

chowhound

Those look super, Joe.
I saw how they were arranged in the pic you posted in the dinner thread. Being on the top (like you said), plus the outside where the heat rolls up (assuming you use a water pan or some kind of diffuser), plus being only half peppers.... looks like 1-1/2 hours was just perfect. Change any one of those three things and it may take longer next time. And they also refrigerate very well for reheating.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Those look super, Joe.
I saw how they were arranged in the pic you posted in the dinner thread. Being on the top (like you said), plus the outside where the heat rolls up (assuming you use a water pan or some kind of diffuser), plus being only half peppers.... looks like 1-1/2 hours was just perfect. Change any one of those three things and it may take longer next time. And they also refrigerate very well for reheating.
Looks like your analysis is right on the money. I ate half of them and put the others in the fridge for snacking later.

FooD

I used whole peppers and I pulled these out at 2 hours this evening. I also used a full slice of bacon on each.

ABTS.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
looks awesome FooD...

i like my peppers really soft maybe thats why mine take longer...or maybe its cuz i dont pay attention to them once i put them in the smoker...lol

I used whole peppers and I pulled these out at 2 hours this evening. I also used a full slice of bacon on each.

ABTS.jpg